Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

4439560952_6ab3d76aa7.jpg

4438782105_281c9a4098.jpg

4438780449_18b173f1ba.jpg

4439556452_c1f2474702.jpg

4438776667_98f8461f74.jpg

Exif data?

Shutter 1/200 Iso100 and aperture prolly around f/11 and f/5.6 for the last. If your really interested you can snatch it off my flickr link in my sig

Thanks guys

I like them all, mostly #2.

Hmm I'm going to pick on shot 3 because I think its the weakest of the series and shows what I think might be some possible problems with the setup.

My main grip is that it looks like a cut and paste job and the reason for this is that the light you have on the bike and rider is so far removed from the surrounding ambient light. We can see that you are indeed pushing out a lot of light since the metal on the bike appears to be clipping (overexposed) though at this size it just gives the impression that the bike is painted white, but some skin areas appear (hard to judge at this size and on my rubbishy monitor) to maybe just pushing on clipping as well.

If you look at shot 2 in comparison the flash light you are putting out has caught a lot more of the background and overall scene, so even though things drop of into the darker further zones the overall effect works since those ares don't come under much close viewing.

Your overall method does appear to be working well and you are nailing the focus and depth of field whilst balancing the light - but I feel that when you want to bring in more of the surroundings - as in shot 3 - your method needs to adapt to lose that "its photoshopped" appearance. I wish I could give some specific lighting advice for this by its going beyond what I know well enough, plus I have no idea what gear setup you have access to and are using.

Hmm I'm going to pick on shot 3 because I think its the weakest of the series and shows what I think might be some possible problems with the setup.

My main grip is that it looks like a cut and paste job and the reason for this is that the light you have on the bike and rider is so far removed from the surrounding ambient light. We can see that you are indeed pushing out a lot of light since the metal on the bike appears to be clipping (overexposed) though at this size it just gives the impression that the bike is painted white, but some skin areas appear (hard to judge at this size and on my rubbishy monitor) to maybe just pushing on clipping as well.

If you look at shot 2 in comparison the flash light you are putting out has caught a lot more of the background and overall scene, so even though things drop of into the darker further zones the overall effect works since those ares don't come under much close viewing.

Your overall method does appear to be working well and you are nailing the focus and depth of field whilst balancing the light - but I feel that when you want to bring in more of the surroundings - as in shot 3 - your method needs to adapt to lose that "its photoshopped" appearance. I wish I could give some specific lighting advice for this by its going beyond what I know well enough, plus I have no idea what gear setup you have access to and are using.

I see what your saying. I expect mixed feelings posting bmx pictures in a mainly portrait and landscape forum. Obviously to some kid who is looking at these who rides and isnt a photography would appreciate the fact that he pops really well.

But 3 is definetly my least favorite. I was actually done taking pictures and about to take my stuff down and he was like shoot this really quick so i left the lighting the same from #2, swapped lenses and shot it. No thought to composition or lighting. Excuses excuses i know. But thanks for taking the time to type out some legit feedback.

True pop is what you are after in these shots, but 3 is really taking the pop effect too far - the others its not so bad, but I get the feeling that you are right on the limit and possibly pushing it a little too much into the pop. Remember that pop is generally supposed to be subtle rather than glaring (unless you make that your style) and making it too strong gives it that "photoshopped" look even if the shot is not photoshopped to any great degree at all.

These are great, the second one is my favorite. What kind of setup did you have on this shoot? And also what did you do for post? They have that "photoshop look" I've been really trying to nail for some car pictures. Keep up the good work!

Most reactions

Back