Finally divorced from Adobe

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I had to pay a bit of alimony, but I think it was worth it in the long run. It's been a very one-sided relationship.

Now that I'm free from that ball and chain, I can experiment with Linux more. I guess I've always been a bit of a masochist.

no monthly ball and chain here either.

I'm content keeping my wick dry.

I've learned to love my captor, I merely close my eyes and go to my happy place while Adobe has it's way with my wallet.

As time has gone by Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom have gotten better and better.
Though I have to say I don't use Lightroom very much.
I use Phase One Media Pro for cataloging and Photoshop CC Camera Raw instead.

I really like that we can download new features as soon as they are ready rather than having to wait 18 to 24 months for a new version to be released.

Adobe's software has always been the least expensive professional grade software I have owned.
I am comparing costs to business management software and software like AutoCAD.

The monthly $9.99 Photography subscription price significantly lowered my cost for Photoshop/Lightroom over the previous 18 to 24 month upgrade pricing scheme - $199 per upgrade for Photoshop and $99 for the Lightroom upgrade.

While Adobe products can get the job done, I have never liked chisel in stone interface. As a Fuji Fan Boy, it was easy to dump Adobe. Good luck, what are you using now?

Take a look at Affinity Photo. It's pretty good. And when I bought it, it was $39. No "rental" fees.

I'm happy to keep the desktop LightRoom version as the CC version would have increased my cost significantly and affected monthly costs versus a one time acquisition cost based on how often I actually upgrade. Plus I can use it forever until I upgrade my camera. I only bought the newest version when I bought a d750 as my LR V4.4 didn't support it. Of course the newest version was a dog on my computer, so that was another problem of why I don't upgrade all the time. Ancillary costs can skyrocket on upgrades.

I had to pay a bit of alimony, but I think it was worth it in the long run. It's been a very one-sided relationship.

Now that I'm free from that ball and chain, I can experiment with Linux more. I guess I've always been a bit of a masochist.
Who got the monitor and who got the CPU. Divorces are always so ugly.

Maybe it's wrong to say, but now you are divorced I can tell you I've been involved with your ex for a good many years. Sometimes I thought that I was somehow getting screwed but for the last couple of years our relationship hasn't had it's ups and downs, it has settled down and I'm pleased to say that I'm getting it pretty regularly.

Best wishes.

Maybe it's wrong to say, but now you are divorced I can tell you I've been involved with your ex for a good many years. Sometimes I thought that I was somehow getting screwed but for the last couple of years our relationship hasn't had it's ups and downs, it has settled down and I'm pleased to say that I'm getting it pretty regularly.

Best wishes.
Hate to tell you there Travler, but a lot of us have been cheating with unpopulars ex for a long time. Pretty much anybody with a few bucks in their pocket can get them some.

Adobe's software has always been the least expensive professional grade software I have owned.
I am comparing costs to business management software and software like AutoCAD..

Jokes aside, CC is a pretty good deal, actually and I agree, it's really not that expensive in the grad scheme of things. Commercial subscriptions for Maya is something like $200/month, and similarly for Nuke. Permanent, unrestricted commercial licenses for the software I use regularly is prohibitively expensive - like over $4K for Houdini alone.

My issue wasn't so much the cost, but rather that I seldom ever used it. I'm pretty much consumed with school right now so I don't have a lot of time to take photos, let alone edit them. Then on top of the 200/year I am paying for Houdini Indie and $100/year for my educational license for Clarisse, internet, which is pretty much required for school any more, plus the ever-increasing rent in an already fairly expensive community (with two kids to support).

That and Linux being so commonly used in the visual effects industry, not knowing Linux is probably somewhat a liability, I figured the best way to learn was to hose my Windows partition completely so I can't fall back onto it when the going gets tough (and it has, and I survived). So with After Effects the only Adobe software I use, which is a terrible compositor anyway, I decided to switch over. Houdini, Maya, Blender, Natron and Nuke all are all available on Linux, so there was no reason not to switch.

I'll never use GIMP tho.

My problem with the Adobe CC isn't the cost for me either. Lightroom is good but Capture One Pro is to me far better. That leaves Photoshop. I still have CS6 and use it, but more and more I have found Affinity Photo will do everything I use photoshop for and it's rendering engines are much faster. Down side for many, it's a Mac only program. If they had a stand alone version of Photoshop I might have kept up with it, might not.

Most reactions

Back