Finally found some Snowys!

jsecordphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Spent sunrise to sunset yesterday along The NH/MA seacoast with one goal in mind- finding some snowys. I actually saw one within 5 minutes, but the light was just...meh. I ended up seeing 3 throughout the day, but got to spend a few hours over the afternoon photographing this one. The best part was there was nobody else around, and once the owl got used to me (I was still pretty far away, but the ones I've seen are very skittish), I was able to grab some photos of it more relaxed, preening, and just looking around for food. Of the few hundred photos, this one was one my favorites.

snowy1.jpg

The dunes it was hanging around in is blocked off, and is marked conservation area. There were still a lot of footprints and worse, tripod holes, around the dunes. I'm already seeing evidence of unethical behavior with these owls, and it's just the start of winter. I had a lot of people ask me on FB and Instagram where I saw this one, and get mad when I wouldn't tell them....

That's a great shot. I too, don't share where I've seen the owls on facebook. I have one fellow photographer who I message with locations and he does the same with me.

Very nice! It's too bad that people don't respect conservation areas and therefore we can't share locations like this with just anyone.

Congrats! Nothing better than being alone with a glorious raptor! I get bombarded with questions about my locations and I have learned never to share...

Beautiful shot man. Is that with the Tamzooka?

Damn... I've been looking into 35's... Maybe i need to reconsider my next lens purchase..

I was going through the same thing, I was trying to decide between the Sigma 35 Art and the Tamron. I'm glad I picked the Tammy, and I might grab a 35 once it's Milky Way season again because it's a great focal length for that. But for now, I'm really happy with my decision....this lens hasn't left my camera since I bought it

Damn... I've been looking into 35's... Maybe i need to reconsider my next lens purchase..

I was going through the same thing, I was trying to decide between the Sigma 35 Art and the Tamron. I'm glad I picked the Tammy, and I might grab a 35 once it's Milky Way season again because it's a great focal length for that. But for now, I'm really happy with my decision....this lens hasn't left my camera since I bought it

That's exactly the conundrum I'm facing. I mean, I have time. Still a few months on the D800 and Tammy payment. [emoji16]

Great shot! If they are back in your area, they must be back in my part of the world - well I needed something to do tomorrow. Time to think about looking for them.

WesternGuy

The dunes it was hanging around in is blocked off, and is marked conservation area. There were still a lot of footprints and worse, tripod holes, around the dunes. I'm already seeing evidence of unethical behavior with these owls, and it's just the start of winter. I had a lot of people ask me on FB and Instagram where I saw this one, and get mad when I wouldn't tell them....
Yep, I was there the other day and some idiots were trampling their way over the fence. I had a word with them after the owl bolted and the guy with $30,000 worth of Canon wildlife gear tried to play dumb with me. Mhm...

Last winter my friend documented people in a car feeding the Rye Harbor Snowy live mice... as in they sat in their nice warm car eating McDonalds while trying to lure the owl to them with the mice. Apparently they had a big tupperware container of mice in the back seat. Seriously.
One time I had to confront another photographer who was throwing rocks "towards" the same owl to "get it's attention". WTF is wrong with people... :icon_pissedoff:

Yep, I was there the other day and some idiots were trampling their way over the fence. I had a word with them after the owl bolted and the guy with $30,000 worth of Canon wildlife gear tried to play dumb with me. Mhm...

Last winter my friend documented people in a car feeding the Rye Harbor Snowy live mice... as in they sat in their nice warm car eating McDonalds while trying to lure the owl to them with the mice. Apparently they had a big tupperware container of mice in the back seat. Seriously.
One time I had to confront another photographer who was throwing rocks "towards" the same owl to "get it's attention". WTF is wrong with people... :icon_pissedoff:

yeah, I heard about both of those situations last year. I've been meeting a lot of people around Plum Island with more camera gear than manners or ethics around wildlife.

yeah, I heard about both of those situations last year. I've been meeting a lot of people around Plum Island with more camera gear than manners or ethics around wildlife.
If you're ever planning a trip down to the Seacoast again send me a PM, I live in the town where you took your Snowy shot. I can show you a few "unknown" spots that are usually free of the ignorant looky-loos. Or we could form a two man posse and distribute Owl Justice. Your choice.

Here's my take from last season:
Snowies - an album on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back