Finally got a job! And an ego boost.

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was originally planning on taking the tough route of starting from scratch, working for myself and building my own clientell. Out of the blue, my friend calls me up and tells me about a job opening at the studio he works at, and lo and behold, I got the job! It's at a high-end studio, so I couldn't be happier. Probably the best possible way to get my feet wet and maybe lead to a full time career at the studio.

Also, I was contacted via craigslist to assist the occasional wedding. And comparing the work I saw on the guys site, the amount he charged and how often he was booked, I don't think working in this town will ever be much of an issue. I'm really surprised at how many people get into the field seemingly without any real working knowledge, without the right gear and with very little professionalism. Comparing my work (pretty amateur by my standards) to his gave me a much needed boost of confidence.

It's been a good week, my car is getting inspected and will probably sell this afternoon (meaning I get to go load up on some decent gear finally and a much cheaper car that get's less atrocious gas mileage), I got a job and things are starting to look up. Happy days!

Congrats! Working at a high end studio will probably allow much more creativity than department store and mall "studios."-f/11, 1/125, and everyone sitting in the same chair.

I know what you mean about the wedding photographer hacks, a crappy website with no portfolio, one booking on the calender, and a 18-200.

Good luck, Have fun buying new gear and a new car!

Even more good news: a friend just got controlling interest of a gallery and she's looking for local artists. I get to show her some work and possibly get my work shown in the gallery and have prints sold there. I don't have a lot of work that I'd like to display, but certainly enough to show that I'm capable of producing more. After that, I'll work on a body of work with a Portland flavor and keep submitting work to be displayed and sold.

It's been a helluva week!

Congrats!! That is AMAZING news! I hope I can be that lucky some day! Please keep us up to date with everything!!

Congratulations and hope it works out for you.

Congrats!! Which studio is it? I worked at a Studio One to One for awhile. I loved the actual photography part but wasn't too keen on the selling and the way they paid their employees. Hope you enjoy it!

First day went very smooth, just an introduction to their work-flow and everything. The studio is Holland studios:

www.hollandstudios.com

It's pretty laid back, but the work speaks for itself. Im pretty excited to be part of the team though.

The first week went very well, I am deeply happy to have gotten such an awesome job. I just need to keep at it and learning so I can get out and start shooting. I don't mind editing, but doing it for 8 hours a day is going to make my eyeballs implode.

Oh, and my car sold so I am in camera shopping mode, which is always fun.

Kudos to you dude.

It's always nice to have an income and a bonus when it comes doing something you like.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back