Finally Purchased - Canon EF-S 10-22mm

Most of us have already upgraded to full frames from crop sensors or planning to do so keeping in view our budgets. Therefore, it is always better to invest in EF lenses from day one instead of first purchasing EF-S ones and then selling them afterwards. I have two EF-S lenses (one came with the camera itslelf, the kit lens, and the other one purchased by me 55-250 mm at a time when I had no knowledge about these two type of lenses) and I'm not even thinking to buy another EF-S lens for that will be of no use when I upgrade to full frame. Ask your heart this question. Are you sticking to cropped sensor all your life? If no then why to invest for something which has no value in the long run.

I possibly could stick with a crop body for all I know. Not sure where my creative side will want to go, possibly both. I do know that this is a hobby for me and restrictions as far as a monetary value does not weigh much for me. I feel if something is worth buying, I purchase it. Just like everything else in my life, I pace myself gradually. The biggest benefit for me going full frame would be the low light situations I find myself in. Even then though, The T3i handles exceptionally well.

Apologies for not putting up photos any sooner. These were from my last RAM on Friday night. Please share your thoughts and opinions. C&C is always encouraged. Any questions, feel free to ask.

1. 17mm f/11 25sec
$886694_172744822873457_323608160_o.jpg

2. 13mm f/25 51sec
$859524_172746826206590_1124150917_o.jpg

3. 14mm f/25 20sec
$859971_172744792873460_1604581503_o.jpg

4. 14mm f/11 3sec
$881951_172744799540126_870337415_o.jpg

5. 14mm f/22 28sec
$882948_172744842873455_1208842220_o.jpg

6. 19mm f/22 4min

$859783_172744866206786_1335667411_o.jpg

Most of us have already upgraded to full frames from crop sensors or planning to do so keeping in view our budgets. Therefore, it is always better to invest in EF lenses from day one instead of first purchasing EF-S ones and then selling them afterwards. I have two EF-S lenses (one came with the camera itslelf, the kit lens, and the other one purchased by me 55-250 mm at a time when I had no knowledge about these two type of lenses) and I'm not even thinking to buy another EF-S lens for that will be of no use when I upgrade to full frame. Ask your heart this question. Are you sticking to cropped sensor all your life? If no then why to invest for something which has no value in the long run.

How do you know everyone will buy a FF camera,not all people will and they may want a wide angle zoom for thier crop body Canon so they will buy an EFS lens for it.

In my opinion it is much wiser to buy EF lens rather than EF-S one. These EF-S lenses are of no use when one upgrades to full frame sensor.

big difference between "if" and "when" some folks are perfectly content on crop frames. ;-)

+1 Have to agree with this post..

I went with the Sigma 10-20 a little while back and havent regretted it for the price, but yes having a wide angle on a crop camera is just about a must. Although since adding the Sigma 17-50 I find I do have less use for it.

I have the 10-22 for my T1i. It doesn't get a lot of use, but there are times where it's the only tool in the toolbox that will work. Same applies to my 10x ND filter, and to my macro focusing rail, and to my flash bracket. They are tools that are perfect in some circumstances, and useless the rest of the time. S'Ok. As for the arguement to buy only EF lenses and skip the EF-S, well, that really depends. Although I would like to increase my sensor size at some point, I have no pressing need to do so, and a good EF-S lens works for me NOW, and at a reasonable cost.

Apologies for not putting up photos any sooner. These were from my last RAM on Friday night. Please share your thoughts and opinions. C&C is always encouraged. Any questions, feel free to ask.
You know, that lens WILL take shots during the day too.. :) It's hard to tell how well you wield the 10'er without a daylight shot. Have fun!

I went with the Sigma 10-20 a little while back and havent regretted it for the price, but yes having a wide angle on a crop camera is just about a must. Although since adding the Sigma 17-50 I find I do have less use for it.
I have the Sigma 17-50 as well and that is a superb lens. I have found it limited with space at times hence why I finally took the plunge. And yes, the 17-50 is my primary walk around for sure. It is magically during the day.

I have the 10-22 for my T1i. It doesn't get a lot of use, but there are times where it's the only tool in the toolbox that will work. Same applies to my 10x ND filter, and to my macro focusing rail, and to my flash bracket. They are tools that are perfect in some circumstances, and useless the rest of the time. S'Ok. As for the arguement to buy only EF lenses and skip the EF-S, well, that really depends. Although I would like to increase my sensor size at some point, I have no pressing need to do so, and a good EF-S lens works for me NOW, and at a reasonable cost.
Yeah, i'm not really worried about the "investments" of EF or EF-S. If I ever do plan on upgrading, then i'll do what I have to. Right now, I'm having a blast with my T3i and glad I get to go out and practice all the time.

You know, that lens WILL take shots during the day too.. :) It's hard to tell how well you wield the 10'er without a daylight shot. Have fun!
Lol. Most certainly sir. I was bored late Friday night and figured i'd go out with just that lens and see what I could come up with. I will be sure to take shots during the day this weekend just for you Mr. Jim. :)

Also, sorry for the watermarks if that upsets any members.

Lenses are tools to work with the body you use NOW to make photos NOW. If the OP wants that UW focal range NOW, with the body the OP has NOW, then buying a 16-35mm for a future FF body that the OP hasn't even decided to get isn't going to get the job done NOW.

There's no reason he can't keep the current body as a backup camera either, and this lens will then still be useful when he doesn't need to also buy a 16-35mm for the full frame IF he ever decides to go that route.

I bought my 10-22mm about 8 years ago for my 20D, right after it came out and saw that the reviews were good. After that, I got a 40D, then a 7D. I finally upgraded to FF about 2.5 years ago with a 5DMKII. The 10-22mm still works great on my backup cameras; A 40D and a 7D (sold the 20D). I haven't bothered to get a 16-35mm yet, since I have that range covered pretty well with the 10-22mm on the 7D when I need it.

Of course, IF I decide to sell it and put the funds toward the purchase of a 16-35mm for the FF, the 10-22mm holds it's value pretty well.

What you think is right for you doesn't necessarily make it right for everyone else.

Thanks everyone. It is definitely a wonderful lens. Now to continue to keep shooting and practice practice practice.

Thanks for sharing your scenario Buckster!! Always appreciate the words from the wise.

That was the first lens I purchased from Canon other than the kit lens when I bought my Canon 30D. I'll never get tired of it, such an amazing lens. I was lucky to get it as soon as it came out since it became a very popular lens, sometimes hard to find, and Canon ended up increasing its price by $200. Because of that lens I keep a Crop Sensor camera (the 7D now) along a Full Frame.

Most reactions

Back