Finally taking the "Digital Plunge"

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by drlynn, Mar 28, 2004.

1. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Well, I am finally going digital. I picked up an Olympus C-4000 from eBay this week, and it should be here by the weekend. I agonized for weeks, comparing features, reading reviews, etc, and every time I'd make up my mind which camera I wanted, I'd read something that made me change my mind.

Since I couldn't afford the 10D I've been drooling over, I decided to go a (much) less expensive route for now, and try to also scrape a few bucks together for some studio equipment in the near future so I can do some portrait work. My wife is a consultant for a scrapbooking company, so I figured I could do some portraits on the side to help her scrapbook business. (This was the best idea I could come up with that would allow me to spend some money on photo equipment!! ;) )

If this little harebrained idea makes any money, then I can maybe justify a 10D and some more new equipment in the future.

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey, congrats! I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

If money is tight, you can pick up a decent 3-unit (two 10", one 5") hot-light set with umbrellas for about $180. That's cheaper than what a single strobe head would be.

3. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Congratulations!...that Oly's not a bad camera.
    Hope it all works out for you.....shame they don't need flower close-ups with good DOF since you've mastered that one.

4. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

Mark,
    That's exactly what I'm looking at. I found a couple we should be able to afford on eBay. The one I'm really looking at comes with strobes that can be used with sync cables or with an IR slave module.

And thanks for the kind words, mrsid! I really enjoy fooling around with landscapes and flower closeups, but I enjoy the challenge of portraiture, also. And using actual studio equipment will be kinda fun.

5. Harpper

Harpper TPF Noob!

Congrats, drlynn!

LOL. I have the exact same problem. Don't you hate it when someone post something wrong about a camera and then you just freak out that you might have made a bad choice only to find out that the person exaggerated the problem? :wink:

Well, enjoy your digital...

6. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a C-4000 and I think its a great little cam. Obviously it can't compete with my new toy (Nikon D70), but the Olympus does very good and I can't say I had any big complaints about it.

Enjoy it! :)