Finding out how little I know, but having a blast learning:)

TallDude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New here, so hi to you regulars. I bought a used T2i last year to shoot indoor youth basketball. Took me a few bad lens purchases and a lot of really bad photos to get me to do more research. After a few great YouTube video tutorials I bought a new Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, use the AV setting and bingo! Great stop action in poorly lit high school gyms. I'm now the unofficial club team photographer. So how do I shoot anything else? That lands me here.
I went to a boat parade the other night and did some experimenting. I was shooting with a monopod. I had the most success with the AV setting fixing the f2.8. I played with different ISO's. 800 seemed about right. Lots of moving lights with varying intensities. Here are a few samples. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks'
Dana Point Holiday Harbor 12-6-2014.JPG
Boat parade2  2014.JPG
Harbor lights4 abstract X-mas 2014.JPG

Welcome. Shots look nice and sharp given the low light conditions.

Which boat parade is that?

Welcome!

I sure would have gone over there and found some photographs of those blue trees.

Welcome!

I sure would have gone over there and found some photographs of those blue trees.

That is the Dana Point Harbor, California. The hotels sponsored this 'ILUMIN OCEAN' sculptural light exhibit, which will run through the holidays. If you wear 3D glasses you get a special effect from the kind of lights they used on the sculptures. I didn't have the glasses to try it. It draws a ton of people.

I'll have to go back another night and play with some different settings. I have a fixed 60mm f1,4 that I'd like to try. I not sure if it will be a benefit or not. There is a setting where you can drag the lights then release and stop the action in focus. I tried it, but I just got a bunch of colored lines. Maybe the flash has to fire at the end?
Dana Point Harbor- Ilumin Ocean 2014.JPG

I don't know anything about your t2i.

It looks like a fun place to find photos.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm an old school'r with dark-room experience. Do to bad eye's and no auto-focus (30 years ago), I could never get anything really in focus. So I gave up photography. Having Lasic surgery 10 yrs ago and the amazing speed of the AF these days, I'm seeing much better results. Just starting to enjoy it. Going for a long hike with my family, and bringing a good camera makes it an adventure we can always remember. Here is an interesting "how did that happen?" photo from one of those hikes.
Daughter and half of a friend- Tahoe.jpg

welcome back to photography. Some nice shots there.

The more I've learned, the more I've learned what I don't know ... and ever learning experience!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back