Finding your style

Considering it looks like me, with those black shoes and white socks, I'm certainly not dissing your style.

Weighing in with my 2 cents - photographic style is as difficult to explain as ones literary voice. Every writer has their own "voice" when writing. Its not something you can easily describe, but it should be easily recognizable. In my opinion looking at the OP's photos, they don't show a definite style. There is no definite "sameness" or feeling to those images. As an example of a recognizable style, Judi here on the forum [PixelRabbit], has a very recognizable style to her photography and I'm not just speaking of the motion shots. I can recognize almost any of her images when I see them on flickr or facebook without even seeing her name attached to them. Now that's photographic style!

I don't think I want to know which one you see as the "Ranger".
That's simply a quote from an old TV show.

The only connection it has to my post is that it contains the same phraseology.

That's how I roll.

Damn! I do hate being dense. It makes it so difficult to ... "roll".
Walker, Texas Ranger Season 1 Episode 1
One Riot, One Ranger

Well, living in TX, I somewhat assumed that to be the case. But, where's the beard? I don't think I'm so dense I missed that.
What beard? Whose beard? Beard? What has beard got to do with it?

If your post is questioning my literary style, then Bless your heart!

Thank you!

But, I wasn't.

Whose beard? Walker's beard, of course. It's how he rolls.

The OP is demonstrating what they feel are five(5) different styles. I see three distinct styles with the natural out of focus background being my favorite. The dark solid colors are to me the same style. I'm just a photographer, not an artist, so my style was to give the client what they want to the best of my ability.
Was watching Walker TR yesterday and marveling at the pistols with 102 round magazines and the gunshot bad guys with NO blood............love that show.

I think personal style is something that develops as you discover an aesthetic that you love. The subjects you choose to photograph, the lighting you prefer to illuminate them with, the lenses you use and the camera settings you use to render an image, and how you edit the photos (or don't edit) all determine someone's style. Honestly in my opinion just doing something the way you love to do it will be the quickest way to develop your own unique style.

And since you asked, these five images demonstrate my personal style best in my opinion:
_mg_3118_1_by_danostergren-d8ikswu.jpg

_mg_4667_by_danostergren-d8n9vkc.jpg

_mg_9133_by_danostergren-d8riu9m.jpg

_mg_9134_1_by_danostergren-d91bc78.jpg

_mg_4781_by_danostergren-d8prrjf.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Dan, that is a definable style, and I like it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back