finepix, or wait for a dslr?

Gregry254

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I am new to photography, I have always REALLY loved the idea of getting into it but I have never had the money!

I can either get a finepix s1800 now, or wait a while and get a dslr. . . what should I do? :(

Would I see much of a difference (except much less zoom) from the s1800 and something like a Nikon D3000?

Cameras within my price range are:

Fujifilm Finepix S1900 Digital Camera - Jessops

Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm VR Lens - Jessops

Canon EOS 1000D + 18-55mm Kit - Jessops

Sony Alpha a330 18-55mm Kit - Jessops

and at a huge push

Nikon D5000 + 18-55mm VR Lens - Jessops

Would rather get from Jessops as its the local shop that everyone seems to swear by.

I have several Minolta SLR 35mm film cameras and went to a Sony DSC_P71 several years ago. I just bought a new Fujifilm S1800 and like it for several reasons:

1) Much lighter than a SLR
2) Cost much less than a DSLR ($160)
3) I don't want to lug around a bunch of lenses like I did for years with the SLRs.
4) The 18x zoom is fantastic for my needs.
5) You can actually read and understand the downloaded manuals, unlike the Nikon & Canon.
6) It's a great little camera

It depends if you are going to invest into your future or not. Ask yourself what you are planning to do with the camera besides "taking pictures with my friends". Then ask yourself if the Fuji is capable of that. Chances are that if you really do want to get into photography, you will want to opt for the D3000 or 5000 depending on your income.
The most ideal thing is to have around $800.00 to spend if you really really want to get into this hobby. As you can see it's pretty darn expensive, but it's one hell of a good time.
Think twice before you buy.

Depends how far down the rabbit hole you plan on going. If you want to go far, get a dSLR. Bridge cameras and point and shoots are nice as a supplement or for certain applications, but it comes at a cost of image quality.

I had a finepix s1500 and I outgrew it quickly. What annoyed me most about it was the slow autofocus combined with the shutter lag. I wouldn't even recommend one as a 'point and shoot' because they're too big.

Well P&S and a DSLR are in different classes so you can't really compare them. What you need to do is see if your comfortable carrying around a dslr with a bag and equipment. I mean if its something you really are passionate for and want to try it, id say go for a DSLR.

I have several Minolta SLR 35mm film cameras and went to a Sony DSC_P71 several years ago. I just bought a new Fujifilm S1800 and like it for several reasons:

1) Much lighter than a SLR Any compact camera is lighter than a DSLR
2) Cost much less than a DSLR ($160) And far less features
3) I don't want to lug around a bunch of lenses like I did for years with the SLRs. So you're restricted to one that doesn't give a lot of leeway in terms of creativity.
4) The 18x zoom is fantastic for my needs. And unlike a long zoom lens for a DSLR, probably suffers from massive image degradation at the long end
5) You can actually read and understand the downloaded manuals, unlike the Nikon & Canon. The foundations of photography would be necessary to fully understand the manual. Just because you've found them to be difficult does not mean that everyone will. There's a learning process
6) It's a great little camera I am sure it is, for what you paid for it. But isn't comparable to a DSLR.

OP, if you've been into photography for a long time and really want to step up your game and start learning some imaging concepts, wait and save for a DSLR. It will benefit you in the long run. I'll say this, Canon cameras have more bang for your buck than most entry level Nikon's. So if budget is in mind, and you want the ability to have AF on all of your lenses, I'd go with the 1000D. If you can afford a D90 or a D7k, then I'd tell you to look into those as well along with Canon's in the same price range. It's just hard for me to recommend a camera without an AF motor. Any DSLR will give you more satisfaction and creative control that a point and shoot. It's just learning to use the creative control that you'll need to work on.

Most reactions

Back