finger in bird bath

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by briankern, Dec 18, 2004.

1. briankern

briankern TPF Noob!

[​IMG][/list]

2. John Orrell

John Orrell TPF Noob!

The Land of 365-day Winters:North West England :(
    Well, this is the critique forum so here goes (dons flame-proof jacket)...
    I think there was a photo there, but to my eyes you didn't quite get it. I would have tried to get in much closer and filled the width of the frame with the bird-bath to loose the distracting background which to my eyes distracts from the theme. I would have gone a bit lower too, and shot more side-on with less of an angle, but still keeping enough angle to see the ripples in the water, in effect bringing the viewer that bit closer to the "action". I also think the finger needed to be smack in the middle of the bird bath to make it work effectively.

Great idea though; I'd never have thought of that! B&W too was an inspiration, as it suits the subject perfectly.

3. Replic

Replic TPF Noob!

I agree with John. It's agreat shot, clever idea, but the background is far too busy, and the birdbath is at an angle. Plus the figner DOES need to be in the center of the photo for impact.

All in all a good shot, black and white making it more powerful than it could be in color. If you can try retaking it with a close up of the bird bath.

4. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

I probably would have preferred John's composition