Finn Brothers

Well, I have to admit there were several songs that I didn't know but I went through old Split Enz/Finn Brothers cds and figure out some titles. The ones that Neil has done I easily identified as I've been obsessed with him for awhile. And Crowded House I knew.

In no particular order:

Six Months in A Leaky Boat
Where Is My Soul
Weather With You
Angels Heap
(love the solo guitar in this - Seven Worlds Collide version)
Edible Flowers
Its Only Natural
History Never Repeats
Luckiest Man Alive
Dirty Creature
One Step Ahead
Disembodied Voices
(this one was hillarious - they turned the lights out and told a story about how when they were kids Tim would always tell them stories, yadda, yadda, yadda...but when they tried to start the song Neil screwed it up cause it was completely dark and he couldn't see what he was doing and he said "oh, F@&!"
I See Red (Tim was very entertaining during this - it's a very rockin' song!)
I Got You
Four Seasons In One Day
(he dedicated this to someone; I read elsewhere that it was to Eddie Veddars new baby)

Like I said there were plenty of songs that I didn't know but it was a good show, regardless. There were several references to home and their family traditions. Neil and Tim seemed to enjoy performing together. Tim was dancing all over the place; Neil :love: was more mellow.

The new album (umm, cd) will be in stores August 24

Oh, and how strange is this.....before the show I saw 2 people (husband & wife) in the lobby that were in the photography class I took. Then after I got to my seat I saw another guy from the same class! This was a small venue and 4 of us from the same class all like the Finn Brothers!

Oh, it sounds awesome!!! There are only 1-2 titles up there I don't recognize, but that's okay. I only have one Tim Finn record, and it's an actual album my hubby bought for fun, since we keep a turntable. :D I still love albums. I should break it out and give it another listen. I have a Split Enz album, too. They don't get enough play. :p

Yeah, the problem with this late August release date is that it's given us no chance to get acquainted with the new stuff they're obviously going to be playing from it. Of course, their musicianship is so strong it's going to be enjoyable, but I like to appreciate a studio version of something and then have fun with it being played live, you know?? So, I won't get that this time. A minor quibble. :wink:

I have 4th row seats and expect them to rock the hizzouse, fo shizzle! I hope they play "Where Is My Soul" in Atlanta - that would be pure magic for me!!!!

One of my musician friends (the one I've mentioned who has actually had some small success, in that he's toured with the Indigo Girls a few times and is on Amy Ray's label here in Atlanta), actually knew of the Finn tour before it was officially announced, and he called the venue here in Atlanta where they're playing and pushed to open for them. He's a huge Neil freak and their music would have been a good combo, but it seems like they're touring with their own opener, so even though he was assured by the venue management that they'd check into it, it's an outside chance. But it would sure be cool!!

Tonight's the night!

We're ready to go grab dinner before the show.

ahh....Neil....Tim.... this is SO huge for me! :cheer:

Well, it was really an amazing show. I am so in awe of these guys, really. When you think of it, 2 brothers from New Zealand growing up listening to and playing Beatles tunes, and the older one decides to form a band and has success, then his guitarist quits and he says, "My little brother is going to be the new guitarist..." and then little brother forms HIS own band and has amazing success, and they drift in and out of each other's bands over the next several years, always supportive of each other's styles.... that alone is enough to make me love them, aside from the fact that they are individually and collectively just loaded with talent.

They played 2 hours, and like Not Neve, I only knew about one-third of the set. Lots of new stuff was played and they passed out a tour EP with a couple of new songs on it, a tease for the new release this month. I can't wait to get it. But they played "It's Only Natural" as well as "Where Is My Soul" so I can pretty much die happy. :D Actually, I probably knew closer to half the songs, now that I'm thinking it over. It didn't matter. I could not take my eyes off them.

Their musicianship is so strong and they are so versatile, between keyboards and various guitars. A 2-hour set was just getting them warmed up, frankly - between the 2 of them, there is an impressive catalog of music. I could have sat there 2 more hours.

And Neil is so....HOT. He just looks incredible to me. :slurp: :wink: They both were in great form, bundles of energy and in clear strong voice. And the new CD is going to be KILLER!! :cheer:

Can't wait to see them again!

Terri, glad to hear you were not disappointed. Neil does something to me, too. Was Tim enjoying himself, at your show as well? (He's a little more "out there" or something like that).

Woohoo about the EP. They didn't do that here but I'll be picking up the new CD the day it's out! CAN'T WAIT!

Not Neve said:
Terri, glad to hear you were not disappointed. Neil does something to me, too. Was Tim enjoying himself, at your show as well? (He's a little more "out there" or something like that).

Woohoo about the EP. They didn't do that here but I'll be picking up the new CD the day it's out! CAN'T WAIT!

I think we got the EP because we're close to the end of the tour, and they have stuff to start unloading, you know? They were probably originally for radio distribution to promote the shows (I've learned a thing or two by having musician friends who tour). :wink: Tim's definitely the wild man onstage, between the two. When he's not on the keys, I don't think he plays anything but rhythm guitar and it's not on every song, so he has more freedom to whoop it up, while Neil is usually playing lead guitar and is more stationary by default.

The only disappointment I felt was that I wish I knew more of their stuff. I've only been following them for about the last 5 years or so, and haven't dug way back. So that bit me a little. But the crowd was into it.

OH! One more tidbit, exclusive to Atlanta: while I knew the story that Paul Hester, from Neil's band Crowded House, had announced he was quitting the band right before a show in Atlanta many years back - I did NOT know that virtually the same thing happened to Tim's band Split Enz. He told the story about someone from his band announcing his departure right before a show here in Atlanta - then Neil added his Paul Hester story. And they turned and looked at their band mates and asked them, "So, any of you have anything you want to say?" and it broke everyone up. That was the Finn way of acknowledging they haven't been here in nearly 10 years - Atlanta was kind of a trauma scene for them both! :eek:

But the place was packed, and thankfully not everyone was as lame as me and there was lots of singing along, to the point Neil announced, "You guys sound great tonight!" :D So I am proud to say I was at their first Atlanta show in many years and helped break the old spell. I am sure they'll add Atlanta to their tour dates from now on. :cheer:

Terri, did you happen to get (and notice) the ad at the top of the page when you're in this thread? "Finn Brothers Tickets - front row concert tickets for all shows in the UK this autumn 2004". Almost Big Brotherish but let's go! :)

Not Neve said:
Terri, did you happen to get (and notice) the ad at the top of the page when you're in this thread? "Finn Brothers Tickets - front row concert tickets for all shows in the UK this autumn 2004". Almost Big Brotherish but let's go! :)

"ALMOST" Big Brother-ish....? :shock: I dunno, this is one of those times that Chase's forum here kind of freaks me out.

I could go for a front row seat! woo hoo!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back