Fire Lake

Thanks everyone :)

tmpadmin, I'm not exactly sure which part you are talking about. I don't see a gray haze above the treeline. To my eyes, there is a slight yellowish haze there, that is lighter than the treeline and dark clouds above. This is part of the glow from the sunrise, and I left it in on purpose. I did lots of burning to the sky to darken it, but I didn't want to make it smooth. It's blotchy and cloudy like that on purpose. I think maybe some details are being lost in this low res photo. If after that you still see that something that looks odd, please let me know. I'm a perfectionist, but sometimes I like to leave little flaws.

Your work result is so amazing that I could well imagine seeing it as a large print - exhibited somewhere. It would be a great attraction (it is to me the way it is here, too, even though I still see anything that comes to my computer over the internet on my old screen, despite the fact that the new computer and the new screen are right by my side...)!

But sometimes I just wonder - and secretly wish I'd know - what the original was like?
Honestly, though, Matt, if I were you I'd only present the result... but I still wonder...

Yet another spectacular picture Matt!!! I too will always open up any picture post with your name on it!!! But your work has inspired me to want to learn PS, and learn it well...and I was one of those that was almost completely against it a few months ago!!! Excellent work as always!

Beautiful!! Love how the light paints the fog coming from left across the island and through the photo.

I'll bet you tried some with the sun in the frame and they weren't as dramatic?

I can see the grey haze as well, however I don't find it distracting in any way, it fits in. Again an amazing picture from you! Are yoy sure you are from this world?

Thanks Lafoto! I would show you the original if you really wanted to see it. I originally processed it very naturally. The sky was bright vibrant blue, and the fog was a lighter orange color than what you see here. It was a normal sunrise shot, and it looked very nice, but I just wanted to make the fog pop more. There was a big lens flare that I removed also. I'm glad you like it. Thank you very much :)

Thanks Duck, and thank you Amanda. Lots of people are against photoshop, but it's really digital photography's darkroom. I think if you are pro digital photography, you have to be pro photoshop as well.

Thanks again everyone! :D

Thanks Vood. You must have posted while I was replying.

voodoocat said:
I'll bet you tried some with the sun in the frame and they weren't as dramatic?
Yes, I did. The sun was too bright and washed everything out. I tried to shoot it just out of frame.

Thanks Daniel, and cmptrdewd :)

Matt, could you or someone else explain this process of "burning" an image? I'm assuming its done in photoshop, but how exactly?

Wow - that's gorgeous

Thanks everyone.

John, "burning" in photoshop can be done a zilliondifferentways.Theobvious way is with the burn tool. You canselecthighlights,midtones,or shadows, and an exposure strength, andthenpaint over yourimage todarken areas. It's best to just experiment.Forthis image Icreated anew layer on top of my main and applied acloudsfilter, setit's blendmode to overlay, and then masked it off totheareas Iwanted. You can use multiple curves or levels adjusments+masking to"burn". It's all an attempt to recreate the result ofburningin atraditional darkroom.

What the hell is with this editor dropping out spaces? Sorry,you'll have to deal with it. Every time I add spaces, it takesthem out.

:thumbdown:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back