Firefox vs. Opera

I'm having trouble substantiating your claim when I read this on Wiki... "Opera was first released publicly with version 2.0 in 1996,[6] which only ran on Microsoft Windows.[7] In an attempt to capitalize on the emerging market for Internet-connected handheld devices, a project to port Opera to mobile device platforms was started in 1998"

. . . . which backs up exactly what Joe said, since the mobile phone project came out two years after Opera was first released.

Also, your bookmarks, speed dial (instead of a new tab page, it shows a customizable grid of your most used pages), history, searches, and notes can all be synchronized to your opera page to be accessed from any browser, and completely synched between opera installations.

The synchronization is one of my favorite features, along with speed dial, and the sidebar. I rarely used bookmarks before I started using Opera, and now I use them every single day. The sidebar/speed dial make it so easy to use.

And the synchronization thing rocks! I can bookmark something on my laptop, and later in the day, log onto my desktop, and it's already there!

Oh, my other favorite feature: Ctrl+Z when you accidentally close a tab you didn't mean to close . . . not that I do that regularly or anything.

Well, I got the contacts transfered over. I had to download Dawn to do it though. There might have been a way to do it without that program, but it was pretty easy.

It kept trying to still open thunderbird to compose new messages. I had to change the Program Association for the MAILTO protocol to Opera.
Also pretty easy. On Vista: Control Panel-->Programs-->Default Programs-->Set Default Programs-->Set Program Associations. Or you can just type "default" in the seach box, and Default Programs is the first result (first result on my computer anyway...you might have more if you have another program with 'default' in the name).

To get your email working, you'll need to know your server info, which I don't know for Verizon. Usually, it'd be something like imap.verizon.net for incoming, and smtp.verizon.net for outgoing, but don't quote me on it. Just enter your email address, login, and password, along with those servers, and it should work!

O|||||||O: THe mask option is a bit hidden, unfortunately. Tools > Quick Preferences > Edit Site Preferences > Network > browser identification

It doesn't always work, but it's pretty good most of the time (I still have to use Chrome for my bank, for example)

To get your email working, you'll need to know your server info, which I don't know for Verizon. Usually, it'd be something like imap.verizon.net for incoming, and smtp.verizon.net for outgoing, but don't quote me on it. Just enter your email address, login, and password, along with those servers, and it should work!
I have Time Warner. When I was first setting up Thunderbird, it took forever to find out what the servers were for my provider. The info was buried somewhere in their website - pop-server.tx.rr.com for incoming and smtp-server.tx.rr.com for outgoing (just in case anybody reading this is trying to find out - your state will probably be different though (sometimes it's a city instead of a state too)).

Dawn was suggested on one of the Opera help pages to import contacts.

O|||||||O: The mask option is a bit hidden, unfortunately. Tools > Quick Preferences > Edit Site Preferences > Network > browser identification

It doesn't always work, but it's pretty good most of the time (I still have to use Chrome for my bank, for example)

Sweet! It worked. Now I don't have to open firefox just to pay my cable bill.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back