Fireworks - 2nd set. C&C please?

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, went back out again last night and I think I got a better handle on it this time. All shots were taking using the bulb setting, iso100 and F8.

1)

641041596_nxToz-L.jpg

2)

641041676_rzvsz-L.jpg

3) My favorite...

641041677_hUYWB-L.jpg

4)

641041747_EPAu4-L.jpg

All very nice.

Wow, these are much better both technically and artistically than the ones you posted in batch 1. I know you have just started wit your new camera, but these are very good fireworks shots.

There's a fine balance between ISO and f/stop. It's actually quite easy to over-expose fireworks by having the ISO too high, or like you learned on batch 1, when the aperture is stuck at f/36 (yeah, f/36) that can cause the fireworks to be quite underexposed,due to the very small aperture.

When you use higher ISO settings and wider f/stops, it's possible to get the smoke from the explosions recorded, which sometimes looks good,other times not so good.

I would suggest this: study your EXIF information and look at the ISO and f/stop and the exposure time; it is a 3-way correlation that makes fireworks shooting challenging. Some people like to shoot single and double bursts, others want to shoot for 30-40 seconds and build up several different rockets in one single shot. If you have a shot you like, note ISO,aperture, time. Also,make sure Long Exposure Noise Reduction is set to OFF, or it can take forever to shoot a frame and have the NR map out the noise--it can reduce your firing to as slow as one frame per minute,at times.

Thanks Derrel. I'll keep this in mind. Unfortunately no more fireworks until Canada Day next year :D. I guess it was worth climbing down the riverbank to stand right next to the river lol.

I'm slowly starting to put everything I've been learning from everyone together, though I still have days where I get focused on one particular thing and forget the rest yet.

Most reactions

Back