Fireworks - 2nd set. C&C please?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by EleanorW, Sep 6, 2009.

1. EleanorW

EleanorW TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok, went back out again last night and I think I got a better handle on it this time. All shots were taking using the bulb setting, iso100 and F8.

1)

[​IMG]

2)

[​IMG]

3) My favorite...

[​IMG]

4)

[​IMG]

2. Sirene

Sirene TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    All very nice.

3. Photoartomation

Photoartomation No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1 and 4 - great shot very nice !!!!! well done !

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, these are much better both technically and artistically than the ones you posted in batch 1. I know you have just started wit your new camera, but these are very good fireworks shots.

There's a fine balance between ISO and f/stop. It's actually quite easy to over-expose fireworks by having the ISO too high, or like you learned on batch 1, when the aperture is stuck at f/36 (yeah, f/36) that can cause the fireworks to be quite underexposed,due to the very small aperture.

When you use higher ISO settings and wider f/stops, it's possible to get the smoke from the explosions recorded, which sometimes looks good,other times not so good.

I would suggest this: study your EXIF information and look at the ISO and f/stop and the exposure time; it is a 3-way correlation that makes fireworks shooting challenging. Some people like to shoot single and double bursts, others want to shoot for 30-40 seconds and build up several different rockets in one single shot. If you have a shot you like, note ISO,aperture, time. Also,make sure Long Exposure Noise Reduction is set to OFF, or it can take forever to shoot a frame and have the NR map out the noise--it can reduce your firing to as slow as one frame per minute,at times.

5. EleanorW

EleanorW TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Derrel. I'll keep this in mind. Unfortunately no more fireworks until Canada Day next year :D. I guess it was worth climbing down the riverbank to stand right next to the river lol.

I'm slowly starting to put everything I've been learning from everyone together, though I still have days where I get focused on one particular thing and forget the rest yet.

6. boogschd

boogschd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #3 looks awesome :D

little off center but still :thumbsup: