Fireworks photos?

Dragoness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I am hoping to get my camera back by today. A local photog has it, he's cleaning the sensor which got filthy during the Angora fire last week.

But I would love to take fireworks photos tomorrow, can anyone help me? I am cursious what settings might work best, hints and tips?

I am still learning full manual and I don't want to waste half the shots just trying to get my settings right.

Thanks!

there is a thread about this very thing in the Beyond Basic section.

I am still learning full manual and I don't want to waste half the shots just trying to get my settings right.

They're never wasted shots. You're just going to be disappointed if you're expecting every one of your photo to be fantastic. Take as many photos as you can. It's the perfect way to learn.

The two best tips I can give you would be 1) make sure you bring along a tripod (and a cable release) and 2) Go early to score the best spot you can.

Anyway I was out the other night for Canada Day and brought along my tripod, cable release, Pentax Mz-6, 28-90mm lens, and 200ISO film (100 would have been preferred). For the most part I was ranging from f8-f16 with a shutter speeds anywhere from a few seconds to capture one or two bust to 15 and 30 seconds to capture several. It has worked for me in the past, but I haven't seen the results yet this time out.

I saw you had a K100D. Someone might be able to explain this, but I've heard digital shooters may not be able to use longer exposures (like 15 or 30 seconds) as it can wash out the image. Something about luminous sensitivity. Anyone have info on this?

I don't have a cable :(, I can use a delay though.

I am going to go as early as I can, but I have 3 kids under 5 and I have to take them too! We are trying to decide on a location now. We had an offer to go out on a boat this year, but with the fire everything is up in the air.

I have 3 kids under 5 and I have to take them too!

haha. Well at least the fireworks should hold their attention so you can get some shots.

A delay should ensure there is no camera shake, but you'll probably want to set it to as short a delay as possible or you'll just have to anticipate the burst a little bit.

Anyway good luck.

t.

I saw you had a K100D. Someone might be able to explain this, but I've heard digital shooters may not be able to use longer exposures (like 15 or 30 seconds) as it can wash out the image. Something about luminous sensitivity. Anyone have info on this?

They talk about using the bulb setting and a black cloth over on the beyond basics section.

Don't worry about wasting pictures though, mess with your settings, take a bunch of pictures. Just the other night I went out to take some pictures not of fireworks and I just took a few and thought I had it but then on my computer I was very disappointed.

Most reactions

Back