Fireworks!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by travelerb, Jul 8, 2008.

1. travelerb

travelerb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My first try at fireworks turned out to be somewhat of a success! It took a little bit of playing around, and realizing that focusing at infinity was not in focus for the fireworks, but I got it fairly quickly. Unfortunately, there wasn't much worthwhile scenery to incorporate into a picture, and the fireworks weren't always that "spectacular," but I'm pretty happy with what I got considering what I had to work with.

Here's one of the better shots:

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice.

3. Computer_Generated

Computer_Generated TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's a good shot travelerb. So if you didn't focus @ infinity what did you decide to focus on? Did you just keep turning until they looked okay or did you use the houses below?

4. travelerb

travelerb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had the focus on manual, so I just looked through the viewfinder for a couple of explosions and adjusted the focus until it was pretty close. The buildings also came into focus as well, but I really didn't look at those. I may try to get one of the out-of-focus shots up for comparison. Surprisingly, you can really tell the difference in the fireworks, totally aside from the buildings being out of focus. A little disappointing, since one of them would have been really nice if it were more focused. Probably something that can be fixed a little bit with some PP though.

Everything I had read said to focus at infinity, so I was a little surprised when that wasn't working very well. It was almost dumb luck that I looked through the viewfinder to fix it too. I wasn't far off from infinity, but it made a huge difference. It was also surprising since I wasn't that close to the fireworks. The picture above is actually cropped from a landscape orientation. I later turned the camera to a portrait orientation, and even at 55mm on a D60 (with its cropping), the blasts were almost all inside the frame.

5. Boz Mon

Boz Mon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You must have been really far away, because I was shooting fireworks here focused to infinity and at 55mm the blasts would not fit in the frame on my D40. Some of them were so big that I was at 18mm. I posted a thread with some of my stuff in the beginners forum and there are 2 of my fireworks shots in there. I mainly focused to infinity and left it there. My aperture was on f/16 and I was shooting on bulb. Seemed to work every time if my timing was ok.

6. travelerb

travelerb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looking at the satellite view of Google maps, I was 700m-800m away from where they were being launched, which I'd say is a pretty good distance. That's why I can't figure out why infinity looked so out of focus. Maybe it was from shooting at f/8.

7. travelerb

travelerb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As promised, here is one of the out-of-focus pictures from focusing at infinity. This is probably the best of those, so I'm really disappointed it didn't turn out!

[​IMG]

8. Computer_Generated

Computer_Generated TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I dunno man, looks kinda cool to me!

9. IllegalDamage

IllegalDamage TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both are beautiful... Its very hard to capture a solid firework shot but I think you did a pretty decent job =]

10. travelerb

travelerb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A few more...at least until I get around to making some composite shots!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, C&C is very much appreciated! (And thanks for the comments above specifically)

11. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    wow these are all really cool and well done. Thanks for sharing and for sharing your experience... the last batch I took were kind of dissapointing so I've been watching these threads with interest.

12. BrinkofDisaster5

BrinkofDisaster5 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    omg! That looks amazing! very nice job!