First 2 monochrome photo's

Ian S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are my first two monochrome picture.

DSC_0007-2BWgate.png

ISO 200 - 55mm - f/5.6 - 1/60 sec

-2And8more_tonemapped.png

ISO 800 - 55mm - f/5.6 - 1/160 sec

Nikon D3000 18-55mm VR kit lens.

Last edited:
If I may,

#1 has focus issues.
#2 is pretty cool, but the contrast isn't there. maybe better in color with longer exposure?

..$0.02

I really like number 2. But I agree with sfzoo comment. It has a cool vibe to it though.

If I may,

#1 has focus issues.
#2 is pretty cool, but the contrast isn't there. maybe better in color with longer exposure?

..$0.02

Hi Ian S,

Agree with sfzoo. Did you take these in colour?

If I may,

#1 has focus issues.

..$0.02

Hi Ian S,

Agree with sfzoo. Did you take these in colour?

I took the second one in B&W but when I loaded it into lightroom it turned it to colour for some reason. It has done that to all of the B&W I take. I then loaded it into photoshop and made it B&W. The second one was taken colour and converted into B&W with a bit of contrast editing.

1st shot does not really do anything for me to be honest. I am not sure what it is you were intending to capture. Sfzoo's comment re the focus is probably the major factor. It also does not help that compositionally your 2nd shot is SO much superior.

I would be interested to see what it would look like after lopping off the bottom 1/5th of the frame - as it is not important. I might have tried to get the path starting from both bottom corners of the frame. Maybe a lower perspective with a wider angle ... ?

re lightroom: I noticed that with some shots I took the other day. I set the camera to take them B & W, but then that info was not passed onto lightroom. I think that this will only be the case when shooting raw or maybe there is no processing information being sent by the camera.

When lightroom loads RAW images it can either maintain the original processing done in camera, or it can set it to the defaults.

There's a setting somewhere you can use to change this if you want images you shoot in monochrome to remain in monochrome when you load them in lightroom.

This won't happen to JPGs because there's no color information stored in the file.

But if you have lightroom shoot in raw.

RE: the trees I'd be interested to see you apply the high contrast settings in lightroom, or maybe punch it...

Nice photos

Most reactions

Back