First 2 weeks with new 50D

i just reviewed both on Canons Website. The only differences i could find were the mega pixel difference (50D has 15.5, 5D has 21), and the autofocus,(while both have 9-point, the 5D has 6 assist points). Could not find any other differences besides the the fact that the 5D actually has a slower burst frame rate(50D=6.5, 5D=3.6), slower image processing because of the 21 megapixels, and the lack of an internal flash.

And trust me, 15mp is plenty, for me atleast. ill post an example of the resolution.

I understand professionals are going to use an external flash anyway but my internal flash has been proven to be quite useful. Some examples are pictures 2,13, and 14.

Also, the 5D has the ability to shoot video, which in my opinion is a waste if your buying a camera, not a camcorder. Besides the amount of video you could fit onto your card is probably not worth it.

To answer your question about darker scenarios, this camera has come through way better than some of the flack it gets in other forums and reviews. When researching the 50D before i bought it, i found some bad reviews saying that in dark conditions and at high ISO, it produces alot of noise, however i have not had a problem at all with this. Take # 5 the picture of my girlfriend for example, this is almost no post production from the raw file. I brought out the whites a little and converted it to JPEG. thats about all that was touched on this picture, yet the blacks are completely black and transition nicely. this was shot at ISO 1200. I did some other shots to test this noise myth and had to zoom way in before a could find any noticeable noise. The only problem i have with the 50D in dark conditions, is that the autofocus doesnt work great with flash disabled, when you enable the flash however it fires in a rapid succession to aid the autofocus.

The only other problem i have with the 50D is the fact that while in live view mode, the auto focus is controlled by a button on the back of the body instead of the regular half press, and is much slower and not as accurate(this is in live view mode only), so i use manual while in live view. I have only had the camera for 2 weeks though so there may be some way to change this i have not discovered.

In my opinion, considering the huge price difference, the 5D is not worth it. Go with the 50D........ or the 1Ds ;)

I had to change it to 8 bit color but the resolution is still pretty impressive.
Sample.jpg

This is zoomed way in on the last pic

Machupicchu, thanks for the reply. If their low-light ability is pretty close to the same, I'll just save the money and go with the 50D. I think both cameras would probably do the job pretty well. I think users who have the 50 are happy with that, and users with the 5 are happy with theirs.

From my point of view there almost the same camera.
The 5D has video but it seems like your paying alot extra for that.
I dont see why the 5d is so much more.
50D all the way.:)

5D (1 or 2?) is so much more because of the full frame aspect. The DOF and and in particular Hi ISO abilities are better than the 50D.

In addition the 5D is known for beautiful files. (not to bash the 50D at all, great camera... I'm just giving why it is more popular (at least among the wedding crowd)

There is a pretty big difference between the 50D and the 5D Mark II, certainly more than 6 megapixels. If you honestly think they are "about the same", then you probably don't need a 5D Mark II. Once you figure out why it's a completely different beast, then you'll probably want one so bad you won't be able to stand it.

There is a pretty big difference between the 50D and the 5D Mark II, certainly more than 6 megapixels. If you honestly think they are "about the same", then you probably don't need a 5D Mark II. Once you figure out why it's a completely different beast, then you'll probably want one so bad you won't be able to stand it.

I agree, the noise control is a lot better on the 5Dmk2 and for that reason I would choose it over the 50D, shame the frame rate is a bit slow on the mk2 though

I still have a softspot for the 50D though, I was so close to buying one, but decided to stick with Nikon in the end.

Oh and great pics btw

Im not an expert by any means, as stated earlier iv only had this camera for a few weeks. I was simply going of the specifications provided on the Canon website. I have no experience with the 5D, just kind of stating what i saw on the website. I must have missed the full frame aspect. Also i was not implying that the 50D was better under low light conditions, just that i had had no problems with mine.

Still don't understand the huge price difference, maybe someone could clarify?

Most reactions

Back