First Actual Attempt Critique

SimplyRelentless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here is the first actual attempt at some pictures with my Rebel XT. So be harsh but give me criticism that will help me please. Yesterday was rainy so today I had some sun and had to hurry before it clouded back up.

mtncopy.jpg

mtn1copy.jpg

pipecopy.jpg

housecopy.jpg

I'm not technically knowledgeable enough yet to give you a real "critique" but I think it's always nice to even just hear honest opinions of our work. So keep that in mind when reading my stuff.

I really like the first two. They have a very clear foreground/middleground/background thing going on, and the mountains themselves are spectacular.

The third picture I can't say much for, it seems to be a decent enough picture, but it also just seems kind of boring to me, for lack of a better word. What were you thinking about when taking this picture? What struck you to photograph that specific thing?

I really like the fourth picture as well. The only thing I think detracts from it is the two white buildings in the far middleground area. They make the scene a bit busy, but I still really like the picture. Very nice angle and view of a good scene.

Again, keep in mind that I am very new to all this as well. Don't even have my dSLR yet. (Although I'm getting it Wednesday! FINALLY!)

Just like Tilson said im a newbie, but i'm just giving my opinion. I like number one. Just a small thought about the second one the sprinkler system in the photo makes you look at it first and then the beautiful mountain scene. Since it is a straight line it leads your eyes out of the picture.

2 and 3 are the most consistent pictures. 4 is a bit obscure and I leaves me unsure of the what was the objective (the building? the contrast of hillscrub and plain?). The fence post is distracting. I think the colors/density are good in 2/3. Focus is good in those. The difference in contrast (picture 2) between the dusty hills and fertile plain is great...very natural.

EDIT: You're welcome SR..Nice lens BTW. Is it Canon kit lens?

Last edited:
Thanks guys and yeah I just want critique on the camera-work.

Great job for a first go. All of them are fairly well composed. I like number 1 more than 2. The bar/sprinkler thing is a bit distracting in that without a point of reference it's hard to tell what it is. It kind of looks like it should be part of the fence, but it's in good focus which becomes confusing. Perhaps shoot more of the sky and less of the grass would suffice.

It seems that numbers 2 and 4 are a little bit underexposed.

I think the composure and subject matter of number 4 could have been the most interesting. As it is, it's a a bit too dark. Also, your depth of field is too deep, so the fence and grass is a little too in focus. It makes a confusing set of components. It makes it difficult to decide what the subject is.

Based on composure, subject and execution, I think that number 1 is the best. Good work.

i like the first picture the best, it is sort of like 2 in one with the foreground and background. i think the last 3 are a tiny bit underexposed

Like some have said before- definietly new here and with photography, but I noticed that you said you wanted for the sun to come back out before going to take some landscape type photos. I've read before that just before and after sunrise and sunset are the two best times for landscape photography. The angle of the light makes all the colors richer. I've found morning is better because noone is around. That mountain might look spectacular in the early morning, or evening.

Thanks guys and yeah I just want critique on the camera-work.

Do you mean you only want C&C on the technicals? If so they seem fine, pretty well exposed and sharp. I think you would do well to ask for a little C&C regarding the composition of these as that's where the faults lie.

On the 4th picture, the fence seems a bit blurry, I think I would've focused in more on the fence instead of the building. But that's just how I see it. I have a bad fence fetish and go nuts when I see a fence shot I want to take.

Nice tho

nice shots dude.

i like the first one the best nice mountains. try getting lower mounting your camera on a tripod with a polarizer and finding some interesting foregroud - your'll notice your shots improving instantly

Mike.

You definitely need to work on the colour of these in PP. They seem quite dull - need a levels/contrast adjustment drastically IMO .

I have to say the first one is the most appealing to me. But as others have stated, that pipeline is very distracting. I would have tried to shoot a bit higher to get it out of the shot but I see what you were aiming for with the foreground. I think the colors need to be adjusted as well, like srt86hil said.

Most reactions

Back