First attempt (10 images)... opinions?

Angie_H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My Nikon D50 just came in last week, so this is the first chance I have had to try it out. Anyhow, these are also the first real portraits that I have attempted. I went to visit the family, so I turned my sister into my guinea pig for these shots. :D

I would really like to get some honest opinions and any tips on improving in portraiture work...:)

Here are the shots:

web_DSC_0056.jpg

web_DSC_0393.jpg

web_DSC_0395.jpg

web_DSC_0104.jpg

web_DSC_0327.jpg

web_DSC_0417.jpg

web_DSC_0017.jpg

web_DSC_0432.jpg

web_DSC_0067.jpg

web_DSC_0024.jpg

**sorry there were so many**

Thanks,
Angie

Good Stuff! And welcome to the forum. I like these shots, and I really like the composition and the hair in 9. The only thing that I don't like is in 4; see how there is one small group of hair that is in front of her ear? I think it should have been behind her ear like the rest of her hair, o well. But good, sharp images, and definitely good color.

Heya again, Angie.
Wow, your sister is a very very pretty sister. And she is not new to "being the guinea pig", by the look of things: she poses quite freely!
I also like Photo 9 (the b+w one) best of all, the way she looks, the light and her hair are really nice in that one!
And I like all those photos in which she does not sport her turquoise eye make-up (but my opinion on that does not count since it is my very personal opinion on this particular make-up). She poses nicely in 1, 7 and 10, I think.

#8 is my favorite. It looks the least posed and there is something very.. gentle.. about it. I don't know. I like it.

i would have to agree with lafoto i like #9 the best

I think the first is head-and-shoulders above the rest. I think it's the posing. Definitely, the clothing/background choice it best here. Add the wonderful expression, and you have a wonderful portrait. Maybe clone out the bright spot at the bottom right corner.

Pete

In my opinion, I think her eye makeup is a bit excessive and is drawing away from the rest of the picture. Other than that I think the shots are very good and she is very photogenic. Good job.

Very beautiful girl! Must be good genes ;) hehe but she is WAY too pretty to be hiding behind all that makeup. She's hiding her natural beauty! But then again, experimenting is fun when you're young and learning.

My favorites have to be 3, 7, 8, 9, 10. :) Although, there's really nothing wrong with the others, these are just the ones that strike me the most.

Awesome job! Isn't it fun getting new gear?

Thanks for all the compliments and feed back. I was a little nervous about using the camera because I was so used to a point and shoot, but I am really liking the control that the Dslr gives you.

Very beautiful girl! Must be good genes ;-) hehe but she is WAY too pretty to be hiding behind all that makeup. She's hiding her natural beauty! But then again, experimenting is fun when you're young and learning.
Thanks, :) Yes, i agree the make up is a bit much, but she wanted to play "model" for the day... ** mom wouldn't let her out of the house with that on.. HAHA**

Anyhow, thanks again. :)

This forum is really helpful!

-Angie

They are all really good but the first one is definately the best, great catchlights too. Good job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back