First attempt at a pano

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ron Evers, May 9, 2010.

1. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It is cold out & a few flakes of snow in the air so I set up between two balcony posts & shot six frames of the back yard using a Vivitar 24/2.8 set to f5.6. I used PhotoStitch to merge the pics into a pano. Two of the seams show up badly & I wonder why.

[​IMG]

Here is my set-up, I used macro focusing rails to get the lens front element as close as possible over the point of rotation. It is a little out front however.

[​IMG]

Comments/recommendations welcome.

2. I am Ivar

I am Ivar TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Ron!

It looks like there was too much contrast in the sky/trees between some of the tiles. What you could try and do is to get in there and manually adjust the images to have the same sky/tree colours/brightness and try stitching them again :)

Good luck!

cheers,
    Ivar

3. Ron Evers

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Ivar. I actually tried to do as you suggested because the third frame was much darker than the rest. I do not understand why, as all six frames were shot in a time of less than a minute & there was no change in the light with the heavy overcast.

4. creisinger

creisinger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've done some panos before and was quite happy with the results but I do have a couple of questions/comments about yours:

1. Why didn't you shoot at f9 or f11? Maybe your lens has the "sweet" spot at f5.6 but with a higher aperture you get more DOF which in this particular case would have been fine. Of course I can't see the details at the resolution you posted but if you are going to downsize it to 3000 pixels on the long side even the f11 would look crisp sharp (even if it's not the sweet spot and to capture more detail in the trees).

2. I never ran into a stitching/overlay problem using the regular mount plate for my tripod. I like your rig but I think in your case it's overkill. Your subjects are so far away that it doesn't matter if your panning perfectly on the axis of the pivot point.

In my experience it would only be necessary to use your set-up if you are making a pano of something where you have subjects also very close to the camera. There you have to have a pan exactly on the pivot point to prevent alignment issues.

3. If you set the lens to f5.6 so that the camera had no control over aperture and your exposure time, ISO and WB were manual and never changed it's likely that the stichting software screwed up making the images brighter/darker. I'm using PTGui for panoramas and love the software. I get very little brightness issues.

4. I think a second row of shots showing the tree tops and more sky would have made the panorama perfect. Just a personal thing. But otherwise it looks good.

5. D-B-J

D-B-J Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    i like the idea, but the colors and brightness seem off.

6. Ron Evers

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for your input, it gives me food for thought.

7. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    At the risk of stating the obvious, were you in manual mode? If you were in Av or Tv or P mode then the camera may have changed shutter speeds on the dark frame. Otherwise I can think of no possible reason why there would be a dark frame in the bunch.

8. Ron Evers

Photos OK to edit
    I was in Av mode where I am 90% of the time. Thinking about this further, I note that the dark frame has the most sky & my metering is centre weighted. The camera may well have dropped the exposure level due to the sky being dominant. (Insert light bulb here.) This is one example where a fixed exposure in manual may have been the best option.

9. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Yeah, manual is the only way to shoot a pano. Armed with this knowledge you may now post version 2.

10. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ron likes to show off his nice backyard I think.

+1 on manual, like fokker said.

11. Vinny

Vinny TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I believe the suggestion for a second row is another series of 6 shots with the tree tops and sky showing.

12. Ron Evers

Photos OK to edit
    Well Paul, I am somewhat proud of it. You see, when we bought the property in 1973 it was a bald headed hill, not a single tree. I designed a house to fit into the landscape & started planting things to encourage wildlife back to this barren piece of land. Originally the only wildlife was Groundhogs & Killdeers & now we have too numerous wildlife to enumerate in a post. Our front yard is likened by many folk to be like a park. Our house is 350' back from the road to near where the land starts to drop off quickly. It is a life's dream coming true. Sorry part is, we are now getting too old to keep it all up. :(