First attempt at a portrait

LongDucDong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Converted to mono, was a windy night and no tripod was used. Id like some critiques if you have some time. :) Thanks!

Geneva8.jpg

Its dark and i like it , i like the facial expression on the frontmost female, almost as if she's scared someone is coming to get her, you should have the other girl pose as if shes scared too, .... as for the overall quality of the photo, its not too sharp and i dunno what kind of camera your using, but you could kick it up a stop or two... maybe grab some more light by using a flash at a far distance.....

Definetly nice shot though... keep it up

Too grainy for me, and the shadows are a bit overwhelming. For a portrait, though, the position and angle is nice.

I like the pic...don't know if you'd call it a "portrait", though. :confused:

Anyone else think the blond girl looks like Gwyneth Paltrow?

this feels like a snapshot, and their eyes were oddly placed.

was this a snapshot?

i would have shot it from a few feet to the left of were you were . . . the composition feels off.

Catchlight in background girl's eyes looks a bit wierd, and shadow accross front girl a little distracting. But a good shot nevertheless.

this feels like a snapshot, and their eyes were oddly placed.

was this a snapshot?

i would have shot it from a few feet to the left of were you were . . . the composition feels off.

Yes, this was a snapshot of my wife and her sister. I was resting the camera on my knee while sitting down, talking in the meantime to give them the impression I wasnt taking pictures and VIOLA! Snapped one anyways. :mrgreen: Wasnt too sure about it as I mainly shoot nature and landscapes. I think Ill stick to my old ways. LOL

Don't do that.... give a portrait as much thought as a landscape and you'll be fine.

I did. I had them sit there because it was the best lighting on the street where we were. I got asked why I was sitting on the sidewalk and told them I was more comfortable there. :lmao: When they heard me click my camera on they started asking what I was doing, telling me not to take their picture and yada, yada, yada. I told them I was viewing my pictures from earlier in the day. Anyways, they continued chatting while I snapped a few shots, this was the only one that was decent enough to keep. Had the lighting been better or if I had a tripod and forced them to allow me to take a pic, it would have been worlds better. I just wanted to try my hand at some night portraits/candids.

Yes, this was a snapshot of my wife and her sister. I was resting the camera on my knee while sitting down, talking in the meantime to give them the impression I wasnt taking pictures and VIOLA! Snapped one anyways. :mrgreen: Wasnt too sure about it as I mainly shoot nature and landscapes. I think Ill stick to my old ways. LOL

Candids are nearly always better when the subject is not aware of the camera. I like your idea, but the camera angle and the lighting are the weaker points. BTW, lovely ladies.

Most reactions

Back