First attempt at abstracts

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does this count as abstract? Did I do a good job? Do I still need to do a lot of work?

I need feedback!!

abstract.jpg

I like it. One thing i personally might have changed is moved down or zoomed in a bit to get rid of the blue in the background up near the top. Still a good one though.

The subject is certainly great for an abstract. However, as it is, the colors and contrast look pretty 2 dimensional. Try putting it in PS and doing auto contrast then auto levels. You may be pleased with what comes out :) It takes on a much more multidimensional color.
--Joe

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

elchrispy, per your suggestion I cropped out the blue bits

clarinetJWD, per your suggestions, I did the autos

and here's what I came up with.

abstract2.jpg

jocose said:
HOT DAMN!!!!

I'M IN THE ABSTRACT CLUB

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Not only are you in, you'll quickly be addicted! You'll start taking pics of things you never would have before...and you'll like em :mrgreen:

Woodsac,

You know, that's already true of regular photography. It's really amazing to me. I only started taking pictures this past June, and it's amazing to me how differently I look at the world. I walk down the street now looking at everything saying to myself, "is this a good shot?" "would that make a nice picture." It's nice to see the world a little dirrerently.

And, not to be too sappy, but I have to say that all of you Forumites have played a significant role in that!

So, thanks.

Congratulations, Jocose, for having become a member of the Abstract-Club (where I still don't belong, I'm afraid...).
I must say I was thinking the same about the "blue corner" even before I read everyone's comments, but you have corrected it while I was sleeping ;). Very good.

And as to your getting "the other eye"... as in: looking as if you were looking through the viewfinder ... I know that feeling only too well. I used to mock my sister who has been going through her life for decades (really!) now, looking at things with "her other eye", the "viewfinder-eye", saying she did no longer know how to "look properly".

But it is not that. You actually gain something rather than lose something when you see motifs and light situations and frames whereever you go. You'd otherwise miss out on all those great photo opportunities.

And also I must say it is thanks to this very forum that I have developed quite "a new eye" myself, too. So :cheers: to TPF :D :lol:

The blue part actually bothered me as well. I swear it wasn't in the viewfinder when I looked :)

just so y'all know, the blue stuff is either concrete or asphalt. The orange stuff is the wide plasticy "tape" stuff they use to rope off construction sites (you know the stuff that looks like what a 6-pack of cans come in that are so bad for the dolphins). There was a clump of it in the gutter as I was crossing the street, and I stopped, looked at it, and it was like the proverbial bulb went off and a little squeeky voice in my head very softly said, "yes, you dumbass, your looking right into your first abstract." So, without ado, I steppped into the gutter, ignored the oncoming crush of rush hour cars, stooped down, and proceeded to shoot of 2 shots.

nice shot! I'm jealous already :mrgreen: I plan to start taking a few abstract soon, asking for like 12 rolls of black and white for christmas:lmao: Congrats!

Matty,

While I respect the tradition medium, I have to say I'm SOOOO glad I went with a digital when I got into this here hobby. I would like to one day get good enough to use film, but since June, I've taken over 4,000 pictures, and you can see that there are a mere 100+ on my photoblog, which I consider to be the best ones :)

DEFINITELY post those abstracts! You can use the wrapping paper that you ripped off the film as your first subject!

Most reactions

Back