First attempt at balancing flash with sunny background.

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please pay no attention to the subject. This was just a test. How did I do at balancing the flash with the ambient background? I have included a picture of each so you can see what they would have looked like before I metered and flashed.

_DSC0051.jpg

_DSC0052.jpg

_DSC0061.jpg

Bump please :)

im no pro on lighting but it seems like you got it. The third one looks even to me!
mmm i need to bbq soon lol

It doesn't need to be even. You want the background a stop or 1/2 stop darker than your main subject.

I had the flash set to -1.7 ev. So next time when I meter the background I should try to underexpose it more? I just didn't want the flash to be over powering.

I had the flash set to -1.7 ev. So next time when I meter the background I should try to underexpose it more? I just didn't want the flash to be over powering.
That's part of the hassel with using the light meter in the camera. It can only measure reflected light, so you have to experiment some.

The more you do it, the better you get at estimating a close starting setup so you don't have to experiment so much.

Though not a necessity, a hand held meter that can measure incident light, reflected light and strobed light simplifies the set-up part even more.

Here is one many start with:
Sekonic | L-308S Flashmate Light Meter | 401-309 | B&H Photo

These often pop up used and you could check B&H, Adorama, and KEH used depts.

This is the one to aspire to:

Sekonic | L-758DR DigitalMaster Flash Meter | 401-758 | B&H

Most reactions

Back