First Attempt at Black and White (and a few others) C&C please :)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lraccomando, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Lraccomando

Lraccomando TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey everyone, the sky was really overcast this morning so I decided to try out some Black and white images, first experiment with that so let me know how its working :) Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these two, while not black and white, also came out of this morning's session, let me know what you think :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much! :)

2. Lraccomando

Lraccomando TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bump :)

3. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL @ #1, LIttle willy LOL. Too bad you cut off the reflection.

The 3rd one is a very interesting subject. You should comeback and redo it if you can. The focus needs to be sharp at the part closest to you I think. But man.. the color is nice!

4. Lraccomando

Lraccomando TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank You!
    Yeah I loved the color of the rust with the blue, hoping to get back out tomorrow or tuesday to the same area so I'll try re-shooting then.

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:

1. A very nice scene; lots of interesting elements. As mentioned, a shame that the reflection has been cropped from the stern of the boat; that would almost have made an image on it's own. The monochrome conversion is a bit mid-tone rich, but on a day like that, not much you can do. Compositionally, I think I would have moved my camera's aimpoint to the left slightly and used the the bow of the boat to point to the centre of the image.

2. This one isn't really working for me. THe pilings are so dark they have an appearance as if they were almost added in after, and with the boats behind them, it's rather confusing. Here again, I think a slight position change, this to the right, to put the first few pilings in more of a line and expose the boats behind them, would have made the image that much stronger.

3. This one has some great texture and colour; nothing like the waterfront for rusty metal. I think here I'd prefer to see a tighter crop image left to eliminate the gap between the two pieces and as well, for the focus to be on the element closes to the foreground. You've got an area just beyond tack-sharp, but not the foreground.

4. An interesting idea, but I think there's just too much area around it. The trees in the background are really competing and I think the float line loses out. I'm not really sure what the solution here might be, unless perhaps to get down to ground-level and shoot directly along the line from a position in the background.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John