First Attempt at Flowers

rajjai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and have limited resources (Nikon D40 with 18-55 kit lens + Paint.net for editing). This is my first attempt at flowers. Only editing I have done is some cropping. As you see, I tried to blur the background using large aparture and focal length (to my lens' capacity)while staying as near to the flowers as possbile but not very good results. Backgroud objects are not as obscure as I wanted. I know I do not have a great lens for such photography but I have seen much better pictures on this forum with similar lenses so what went wrong with this picture?
exif: 55mm, f/8, ISO 200, 1/400 sec
DSC_0194-10001.jpg

Link to uncompressed version
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/rajjai/DSC_0194-1.jpg

Rather than f8, shoot at f5.6. That's will make a large difference to the dof. Also the angle you've chosen is not particularly exciting.

You will probably require a faster lens to get the background much more out of focus.

As you noted, get close to the subject and have the background further away too if you can.

Go to your lens' minimum focusing distance at 55mm, and move yourself until your subject is in focus. That will ensure that your subject is as large as it can be with your lens. than open your lens up as wide as it goes, that will ensure your shortest DOF with that lens. Use a tripod as well, if you're free-handing it, your body will lean back and fourth if you're crouching down low, and you can pull your subject out of focus doing that.

Most reactions

Back