first attempt at high speed stuff...

pilgrim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
shot both of these at 1/3200 f/2.5
I wish I could focus a little closer, but intill I can get some extension tubes this will have to do. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, but I wasn't able to catch any actual drops, so i'm gonna have to keep trying I guess..

water-drop-two.jpg

water-drop-three.jpg

oh, and the background was allready pretty dark, so all I did was darken up the levels some and it went black. :wink:

any comments? suggestions?
:D

santino said:
#1 is great (I don't know much about high speed stuff so thats all I can say). Good work dude!

haha, yah I dont know squat about it either, what I did probally isn't even "high speed" stuff, hah, all I did was shoot water dropping into water with a really fast exposure :wink:

Cool shots Pilgrim. I've done lots of shots like this, and I can tell you that you don't need anywhere near that quick of a shutter speed to freeze the action. 1/200 is plenty to freeze water. Then you can stop down your aperture a bit to get a crisper shot. Most of the water shots I've done have been in a white sink, so I wanted them bright, and I shot with my flash. I like this take on it though.

Digital Matt said:
Cool shots Pilgrim. I've done lots of shots like this, and I can tell you that you don't need anywhere near that quick of a shutter speed to freeze the action. 1/200 is plenty to freeze water. Then you can stop down your aperture a bit to get a crisper shot. Most of the water shots I've done have been in a white sink, so I wanted them bright, and I shot with my flash. I like this take on it though.

oh crazy, I read somewhere that you needed atleast 1/4000 to freeze water drops crisp enough. hmm, 1/200 would ben ice cause then I could sue my flash.. I didn't see any of these shots on your site? did i miss them..? I would love to see your take on these. :D

It depends on what you want. Look into the work of Harold Edgerton, father of strobe and high speed. The milk drop sequence may be more to your desire.

If you want to take a photo like that Pilgrim, you'll need faster than 1/200 for sure :p

This is one of my best shots, that I actually took with my Olympus P&S, and I could never replicate it with my Rebel.

1/100, f/8, flash fired.

The action is frozen plenty well I think.

You can get away with a slower shutter speed if you use flash because the flash is actually faster than the shutter. Same applies with, say, basketball photography. If you tried to shoot 1/200 of action inside, you'd get blur all to hell. Pop it with some strobes in the ceiling and the light "hides" most of the other motion because the exposure during the flash is so much brighter than the ambient light.

hmmm, thanks for the info guys. but what would be better, 1/200 with flash, or say the 1/3200 I shot without flash..
I have a vivitar 730AFC flash I could use to.

oh and matt, I like your shot! strange you can't get something like that with the rebel.

oh, and I didn't want to take a photo like that one mat, heh, I just thought it was quite amazing!
all I wanted to achieve was some crisp water splashing, maybe a big drop.. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted I just wanted to play around with the idea.

Heh, you need some special eq to get a shot of that bullet I think :p Taking shots of water drops rules though. It's fun because no two drops are the same. That's what I couldn't capture with my rebel. I have tons of similar shots, but none where the splash was that cool.

As to what is better, with or without flash, you'll have to experiment and see what you like. They will look different. Good thing you are shooting digital :)

huh great shots! the same what matt said: I have tons of shots of drops but nothing so good -:p

Most reactions

Back