First attempt at landscape shots!

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by bowronfam3, Nov 1, 2006.

1. bowronfam3

bowronfam3 TPF Noob!

I took this the other day with my new camera. This was my first attempt at taking landscape type shots. Any suggestions...opinions? Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

2. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not bad- pretty colors in the foreground. A little confusing to me though. Maybe try finding some "S" shapes. Lead the viewer into the photo. -Not like I understand the concept, I just read it somewhere. Keep it up.

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The colours are a bit too strong and all in all leaning a bit too much on the red side ... even the sky shows a mild reddish hue ... did you shift the levels a bit to get the autumn colours out more?

And as much as I understand how much you want to try out your new camera I would suggest you wait for a nicer sky next time.

And Walter, what is this thing about S-shapes? I have never heard of those before but it sounds intriguing!!!

4. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, so I'm REALLY, REALLY color-blind... more than usual for men. But I thought the photo looked cool.

Basically, from what I understand, "S's" are connecting the intersections constructed by the rule of thirds (roughly) with curved lines.

Rather than building a photo as a single or series of "L's" or an uneven "X," according to the rule of thirds (connecting the intersections with straight lines), the photo is composed by positioning naturally occuring attractive curves.

Look for the "S" or reverse "S" in the landscape photos you like on the forum. Quite a few of the really good ones (nothing is constant) will have the "S" shape, and your eye will naturally follow right along with it and bring you into the photo (maybe).