First attempt at Panning... What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by Silverado_13, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Silverado_13

Silverado_13 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Either the front or the back of the car was always blurred. I couldn't get the whole car focused... Do I need to move farther away?

Any tips?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heck

Heck TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe your shutter speeds were too long? Being new at panning my also mean you have not got the feel for it even if your following good advice on how to do it.. Being too close should not be a issue..

3. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    BTW - On the 70-200 IS, there is a mode 2 IS, that is designed to stabilize in one direction during a pan... I wonder if I could get the shot. I'm sure it is a matter of practice as suggested... like thai chi or yoga. :lol:

-Shea

4. Silverado_13

Silverado_13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Shutter speeds were anywhere from 1/40 to 1/125. By no means did I expect these to come out perfect, just trying to learn from my mistakes. But I realized that all of the pictures have the same problem. At least one part of the car is blurry...

Trial and error I guess. :thumbup:

Good to know. :mrgreen:

5. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It has nothing to do with shutter speed; you can use whatever shutter speed you like for this kind of shot. It's all in the focal length. You need it to be longer. What's happening is you are rotating to pan with the car, but due to perspective changes, the back and the front end of the vehicle change in size. The blur you are seeing is due to this perspective blur.

These shots look like they are 50mm and below. Were you shooting this with an 18-55 lens? You'll need well over 100mm to do this without getting this effect.

EDIT: otherwise these are some nice pans. Good steadiness!

6. Silverado_13

Silverado_13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Gotcha! Guess I'll need to use my Sigma next time and find a better spot farther away.

I appreciate it! :thumbup:

7. SandShots

SandShots TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    pretty good for your first time, keep at it and youll get better.

my suggestion is to get parralel with the car so your moving your camera from left to right and the car stays at the same distance from the camera.

the way youre doing it now is that not only are you trying to pann but the subject is also changing the distance to the camera. you are positioned in a way where the car is comming to you or away from you wich makes it harder.

8. Bevel Heaven

Bevel Heaven TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the above. I also always tell people starting out at panning, to use a shutter speed around 320 to start. Be perpendicular to the object. Shoot 11ty billion shots of the same thing. After that, change your shutter speed to the next slower setting and shoot 11ty billion more.... Repeat. You will find that eventually you will get the vehicle sharper, wheels and blackground blurred. The goal is to get the entire vehicle crispy and sharp, wheels blurred, background fuzzy. The background does not have to be complete blurred out beyond recognition,... That just hurts the eyes and your shots wil not get published or purchased.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  9. xtort-

xtort- TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agree with above, definitely good for first try!

10. DRoberts

DRoberts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Set your auto focus to "AI Servo"
    Distance isn't the problem. Are you locking your auto focus on to the cars as they are coming or are you panning and then trying to get the shot at the last second?
    Your shutter speed in these situations won't do much more than lighten or darken your photos.
    Looking at the shots you got, its a fairly well lit day so your shutter speed should be around 1000 +/-, open your aperature a touch for background blur, and use a medium to low ISO, ISO 400 or less...
    Here are some examples at about those settings...

#1 From a distance...
    [​IMG]

2. From about 6 feet away
    [​IMG]

3. From about half track away...
    [​IMG]

4. Right under...actually on track.
    [​IMG]

11. bdavis

bdavis TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For panning you need to set your focus, aperture, and shutter where your subject is going to be. When they are approaching the area, put your camera on them and follow them as best you can, then when they get to the area where you focused, press the shutter then continue to follow them until the camera is done taking a picture.

The only reasons I can think why yours aren't completely in focus is maybe because you were using too wide of an aperture or maybe you weren't panning smoothly.

12. Silverado_13

Silverado_13 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's what I was doing. I'm pretty sure I set the aperature too wide. Going to the track again on Sunday so I'll try again.