First attempt at self portrait and using multiple flashes

timfrommass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a self portrait I did. I have two flashes and this is the first time I've used them in combination. I have an SB-24 that has to be used on camera and a quantaray that I can use off camera. I placed it in front of the camera and a bit to the left a little lower and angled up. It resulted in some annoying shadows. If I had another flash or had been able to use both off camera I believe I could have eliminated the shadows. I also think I could have used a wider depth of field on this shot, and that it was a mistake to cut off my arm before the elbow. What do you guys think?

4471579451_02cfcfd337_b.jpg

-tim

Your eyes are creeping me out

That hard line from the shadow off your nose on the right side of your face is kind of distracting to me, since everything else is so softly lit. You're also getting a shadow off your hand on your neck. The shadows, to me, are fine on their own if you're lighting from a specific direction but when the lighting is even throughout, like you have it here, it maeks things stand out. Other than that, the DOF looks weird to me as well, I'd have used a smaller aperture for a shot like this, f/8 or so at least.

I don't really have much experience from shooting people though so you can probably ignore me. This is just what I noticed. :)

That hard line from the shadow off your nose on the right side of your face is kind of distracting to me, since everything else is so softly lit. You're also getting a shadow off your hand on your neck. The shadows, to me, are fine on their own if you're lighting from a specific direction but when the lighting is even throughout, like you have it here, it maeks things stand out. Other than that, the DOF looks weird to me as well, I'd have used a smaller aperture for a shot like this, f/8 or so at least.

I don't really have much experience from shooting people though so you can probably ignore me. This is just what I noticed. :)

Yeah I was aware of the shadow issues. When I was shooting and looking at the preview in camera I was mostly just making sure I got sharp focus on the eyes and didn't realize that the depth of field was too short to get even to my ears. Doing it over I def would have used a smaller aperture

-tim

Yeah man - those pupils - you gotta do something about it. No - this is not how you really look - I"m just saying you need to adjust your cam or do some photoshoping.

You don't want to eliminate shadows. They are what give the facial mask depth and interest.

Use the on camera speedlight for fill and the off camera speedlight as your main (key) light. You want the key to fill ratio at about 4:1.

The basic lighting primer is Light: Science and Magic by Fil Hunter. The second half of the book will intro you to portaiture lighting.

Having the key light high and the fill light low, gave you racoon eyes, your eye sockets are dark.

Lighted portraiture is usually done at f/8 and between 85mm and 105 mm.

Last edited:

Yeah I was aware of the shadow issues. When I was shooting and looking at the preview in camera I was mostly just making sure I got sharp focus on the eyes and didn't realize that the depth of field was too short to get even to my ears. Doing it over I def would have used a smaller aperture

-tim

You need to diffuse.

you can get cheat white shoot through umbrellas for $20.

This is from a shoot for a musician I did last week.

The main light was one speedlight with a shoot through umbrella. The other two were behind creating rim lights. Even without those, the front of the face would have been lit with very little shadow because of the large light source.

Umbrella, stand, and adapter would run about $55 not including shipping from some place like Adorama or B&H.

Has this forum already given you gray hair?

look at dem eyes you be buggin out yo.

Seriously though good shot, nicely lite no harsh shadows and an intriguing pose

LOL @ a this thread! I figured I'd get some C&C on my picture, but not so much on my actual physical appearance! If there is any illusion of grey hair I can assure you that is from the lighting and hair gel, I'm only 27 haha. I'm also very intrigued with the debate over my eyes. Not to be vain, but I generally get a lot of compliments on them... never heard that they creeped anyone out before. I guess there's not really very much I can do about that?

I appreciate the advice on the lighting, and pointing me out to recourses that can help me learn what I'm doing there. I have no clue as far as lighting goes. I'm not going to start a portrait studio or anything, so I don't see myself buying any umbrellas any time soon. I really need to get a modern flash that works on/off camera and has iTTL before any of that. I was thinking about an SB-600 in the not to distant future.

I guess my biggest mistake with what I had was using the on camera SL as the main source of light. I may try a re-shoot in the next couple of days and reverse that.

Once again thanks for the advice, anymore C&C would be appreciated.

-tim

Yeah man - those pupils - you gotta do something about it. No - this is not how you really look - I"m just saying you need to adjust your cam or do some photoshoping.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here?

-tim

You don't need a studio for lighting modifiers. They're the basic bread and butter of being able to light correctly. Of course, a one trick pony can make it some where eventually.

Most reactions

Back