First attempt at Self-Portrait looky looky :)

it wasnt in the bathroom, it was a dark bedroom behind me, but yeah, white reflects all light, so dont use the backdrop if you want black. honestly i think black would be a bad choice, but maybe somewhere in between. if you werent shooting a strobe straight at the backdrop, i'd think you could definately make that non-white. Just snoot your strobe or something

Technically nice, good tonal range and lighting but your expression... where is it? Personally I like to see some emotion in a portrait, feels very human robotic almost!

it wasnt in the bathroom, it was a dark bedroom behind me, but yeah, white reflects all light, so dont use the backdrop if you want black. honestly i think black would be a bad choice, but maybe somewhere in between. if you werent shooting a strobe straight at the backdrop, i'd think you could definately make that non-white. Just snoot your strobe or something

Using a snoot would not give me the same look as the lighitng setup I used. I used a lighting technique called Rembrandt Light that with a snoot would be much more difficult. If I really wanted an off white background I woudlnt half ass it but I would go out and spend the money. I used what I had at the time and wasnt extremely focused on my backdrop. A snoot would also give a more uneven lit backdrop. I also wasnt shooting a strobe straight at the backdrop...I used one light that was aimed at me.

Sorry to say I don't find it very creepy, just emotionless.

Sorry to say I don't find it very creepy, just emotionless.

At some level isn't emotionlessness creepy?

But we're not gonna turn this thread into a discussion about emotions and emotionless and either or both of those things being creepy HAHA.

I like this shot a lot. It's a very serious pose, and I feel that it works well with the post-processing. It's well-lit in my opinion, I really like the deep shadows, because, it works well with the pose. Top-notch work.

Thanks ^

I am really loving the studio and it helps to have one in your basement hehe :)

At some level isn't emotionlessness creepy?

But we're not gonna turn this thread into a discussion about emotions and emotionless and either or both of those things being creepy HAHA.

Whoa there, cowboy. You can't just start a discussion like that and then proclaim that there's not going to be one.

At some level, yes. In this case, no, I don't particularly think so. It doesn't appear emotionless in a sociopathic way, just generally emotionless, i.e. bland and unsubstantive.

Is emotionless bad in this photo? Welll what im asking maxbloom is do you think that its a bad photo because its emotionless or atleast my expression is?

Is emotionless bad in this photo? Welll what im asking maxbloom is do you think that its a bad photo because its emotionless or atleast my expression is?

Yes and No. I don't think it's a bad photo. But I don't think you really hit your mark.

k just trying to clear things up with your opinion. Thanks

Sorry if I was being vague.

Using a snoot would not give me the same look as the lighitng setup I used. I used a lighting technique called Rembrandt Light that with a snoot would be much more difficult. If I really wanted an off white background I woudlnt half ass it but I would go out and spend the money. I used what I had at the time and wasnt extremely focused on my backdrop. A snoot would also give a more uneven lit backdrop. I also wasnt shooting a strobe straight at the backdrop...I used one light that was aimed at me.

so you're telling me you would go spend 50 dollars on a roll of paper for a self portrait? We all make sacrifices... heck, I've used a desk lamp as a strobe, 8.5X11 paper for a backdrop and another piece as a reflector for a photo I did and it looks just as good as you'd get with professional equipment (at least i got exactly what i wanted out of the shot)
you dont always need the biggest and best stuff . God knows I make do with what i have all the time. Think outside the box phil :D

so you're telling me you would go spend 50 dollars on a roll of paper for a self portrait? We all make sacrifices... heck, I've used a desk lamp as a strobe, 8.5X11 paper for a backdrop and another piece as a reflector for a photo I did and it looks just as good as you'd get with professional equipment (at least i got exactly what i wanted out of the shot)
you dont always need the biggest and best stuff . God knows I make do with what i have all the time. Think outside the box phil :D

People invent. And they make do with what they've got. But don't forget that understanding the capabilities and limitations of your equipment are one in the same. Be a master of your domain but have no illusions about what you are and are not capable of producing.

People invent. And they make do with what they've got. But don't forget that understanding the capabilities and limitations of your equipment are one in the same. Be a master of your domain but have no illusions about what you are and are not capable of producing.

Pretty well put and I would love to see that photo unibomber that you claim is just like mine done with the equipment you said you used.

And btw I think outside of the box with what I have but I still prefer professional equipment over junk in my house that I dont have the same capabilites with. And just so you know I did in the past use halogens that I got at Home depot but have now upgraded and I never got the same quality photos or control of my lighting.

Professional equipment wouldnt exist if your homemade equipment did the job just as well.

i dont know who this "unibomber" fellow you speak of is... ;-)
people like you are the REASON professional equipment exists though. People got sick of using what they had lying around so they invented specialized tools for each task that did them more efficiently and sometimes better than things they had around the house. I'm not saying what i do is BETTER, i'm saying its just a lot cheaper, and that you dont need to go drop 50 dollars every time you want your background to be a different color (although you can, nobody's stopping you) . I didnt say i did a picture LIKE yours with my stuff, i said it was as good as "you'd" (meaning everyone, not just you personally) get with pro equipment. the photo was from my fruitography project i did a while back-
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/shorty6049/tastyorange-1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a296/shorty6049/DSCF0143.jpg

by the way. why arent you online anymore???

Most reactions

New Topics

Back