First attempt at studio lighting

dremhmrk2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased some lighting equipment and had a friend come over.

Nikon D50, 28-90mm Quantary Lense

DSC_4930.jpg

I'm definitely underexposing I think a bit on this one.

DSC_4863.jpg

This one I really really like but I still think it's too dark, should I try to correct this by adjusting my shutter speed or by moving the lights closer?

DSC_4842.jpg

This one is definitely the best of the bunch, but Im not sure.

I really need some guidance on these, I've got the equipment, I've got the space, now I just need the talent!

Critiques would be much appreciated. I of course have many more 'keepers' and many many (probably 3 gigs worth) of horrible failures.

-Justin

you definitely need to work on the exposure. what camera are you using? what fomat are yo shooting in? if you shoot in RAW format then you can adjust the exposure beore you edit the pictures, but its best to get it as close to what you want at first as possible. always do some test shots and load them before finishing your shoot. what kind of studio lighting are you using?

personally i think compositionally the first picture was your best of the bunch, if only it wasnt so dark, and maybe a little work in photoshop could really improve it. in the first pic I would also photoshop out that socket.

also try plying around with the curves feture in photoshop.

sorry all this assuming you have photoshpo its th eonly program I know how to use. You are right, you have the equiptment and the space. and I think you have a good eye. You just have to learn how to use your equiptment more efficiently, and learn more about post processing.

first of all, what kind of lights are they? Are they hot lights or strobes?

If they are strobe (flash), can you adjust the output? If you cannot, then you will need to move them a bit closer. Adjusting shutter speed for flash is irrelevant as the flash is just that, flash. If they are hotlights, then yes, you can adjust shutter speed, but you will have to admonish your model to sit still if your speed is slower than a 45th. You can also open up your aperature to allow more light. This will give you more shallow depth, but that isn't really a bad thing.

The lighting that you have posted seems pretty flat. Watch those power outlets...they are composition killers. Your 3rd shot as adequate light, but your depth is too deep, and the wall is in sharp focus. While the texture is nice, it distracts from the model. Also, with shots two and three, think about the rule of thirds and get your subject out of the bullseye.

You're well on your way. Keep shooting and shooting. Don't be afraid to experiment with different lighting set ups and positioning of the lights. the more you do this, the more you will learn about what works and what doesn't.

you definitely need to work on the exposure. what camera are you using? what fomat are yo shooting in? if you shoot in RAW format then you can adjust the exposure beore you edit the pictures, but its best to get it as close to what you want at first as possible. always do some test shots and load them before finishing your shoot. what kind of studio lighting are you using?

personally i think compositionally the first picture was your best of the bunch, if only it wasnt so dark, and maybe a little work in photoshop could really improve it. in the first pic I would also photoshop out that socket.

also try plying around with the curves feture in photoshop.

sorry all this assuming you have photoshpo its th eonly program I know how to use. You are right, you have the equiptment and the space. and I think you have a good eye. You just have to learn how to use your equiptment more efficiently, and learn more about post processing.

I'm using a Nikon D50 for these shots, and I was shooting in the highest level jpg setting. You're right, I TOTALLY should have been in raw... Also I was also using a pentax k1000 for B&W versions I have yet to develop

You guys asked what lighting equipment I have, so here it is:
Speedotron 400 Powerpack, with full / half power switching, no asymetrical or power adjustinility.
2 MW3U's
2 M90's
One Silver Reflector umbrella
One white shoot through umbrella
Snoot for MW3U
Grid with Gel holder for MW3U
Photoslave (used with D50)
10' Sync Cable (for Pentax)
Stands
(I got the setup for 300 bucks including a rolling cart)

Yes I also have photoshop, I think I might have actualy OVER darkened the photos in photoshop lending to their dark nature, my laptop at home is not color calibrated at all so today when I looked at them at work, they were uber dark.

first of all, what kind of lights are they? Are they hot lights or strobes?

If they are strobe (flash), can you adjust the output? If you cannot, then you will need to move them a bit closer. Adjusting shutter speed for flash is irrelevant as the flash is just that, flash. If they are hotlights, then yes, you can adjust shutter speed, but you will have to admonish your model to sit still if your speed is slower than a 45th. You can also open up your aperature to allow more light. This will give you more shallow depth, but that isn't really a bad thing.

The lighting that you have posted seems pretty flat. Watch those power outlets...they are composition killers. Your 3rd shot as adequate light, but your depth is too deep, and the wall is in sharp focus. While the texture is nice, it distracts from the model. Also, with shots two and three, think about the rule of thirds and get your subject out of the bullseye.

You're well on your way. Keep shooting and shooting. Don't be afraid to experiment with different lighting set ups and positioning of the lights. the more you do this, the more you will learn about what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the suggestions! I must strive to make my depth of field more shallow in these digital shots. On the Pentax I was using F2 so Im sure they have better depth of field, I think I was using around F5.6 on these because I was at the 90mm position and it's a variable aperture lense :thumbdown:

Here are another few shots from the shoot, are these any better?

DSC_4883.jpg

DSC_4838.jpg

DSC_4922.jpg

Thanks again guys!

the composition in the second one of your new post is good! they just need some work in photoshop i think...

i have a nikon d40 (mommy cam LOL)

i think strobe lights are the way to go. i used to do modeling and thats what we always used. you need to take a couple test shots load them, and check them before the shoot. this way you can make adjustments as needed before you start.

i set my camera to load BOTH raw and jpeg. makes it easier since not every picture is professional quality but i dont want to throw out pictures of my kids.

Your exposures are way under exposed. Check out the histogram on your PC. Are you using a flash meter? If using ambient light meter, because the walls at the back are white it's trying to make them 18% grey and therefore under exposing the image.

THey look around 3 stops under exposed!!!

Here's one edited slightly.

Untitled-22.jpg

errr on the model end of things, she looks kinda mad and unnatural. just thowing that out there. and EOS that edit is kinda bright.

These pics are pretty good for just starting out.
They do need to be brighter which as EOS has shown is quiet possible in photoshop.

Funky: You have alot of comments on what others are doing. Maybe you should help out by editing a picture so we can see how it's really done.

The DOF problem is not totally based on your apeture, to me it looks like the model is too close to the background/wall, move her out to around five feet, get a flash meter, learn how to use it and you'll see an immediate improvement, take portraits in portait format or crop square, its more pleasing. H

Ok neea, im going to take that in the nicest way possible and post a edit that i think looks good, your comment makes me sound like all i do is comment and maybe not know what im talking about.

edit: oh i didnt see that his photos arnt ok to edit. nevermind.

Funky- i relizd that too. was thinking of editing one to show (not that i claim greatness at editing photos) but saw his photos are not okay to edit. id lve to see his edits once takign our advice though!!

Funky- i relizd that too. was thinking of editing one to show (not that i claim greatness at editing photos) but saw his photos are not okay to edit. id lve to see his edits once takign our advice though!!

Feel free to edit these ones, guys. Thanks for actualy caring though!

Ok guys, I had some new models stop by today and tried to work in some of your suggestions (moved the models away from the wall, over exposed slightly) here's the best from today... Improvement?

Meet Xtina and Jen
DSC_5023.jpg

DSC_5004.jpg

DSC_4989.jpg

DSC_5016.jpg

Also guys, here are some better processed versions of the originals, I think I got the exposire much closer to what would be called "good."

Thanks!!!

DSC_4883b.jpg

DSC_4842b.jpg

DSC_4863b.jpg

DSC_4930b.jpg

DSC_4838b.jpg

Most reactions

Back