First Attempt at Wildlife

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Actually my first time even leaving the house/yard with my camera. Everything on the kit 18-55.

12686471963_a458cf1ba9_o.jpg
[/URL] goose-2 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

12686809734_e832861936_o.jpg
[/URL] Goose-1 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

12686813714_f15728b98d_o.jpg
[/URL] Ducks-2 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

12686816474_1967884e8d_o.jpg
[/URL] Duck-1 by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

Well, I gotta say: I wasn't very optimistic when you said they were shot with the 18-55 kit lens. Nothing at all wrong with that lens, I *still* use mine a good bit--but not for wildlife.
But man, those first two--with the 18-55?? You must have been sitting with that goose on your LAP. :lol:

I like the second better than the first, mostly because in the first, you've got that little bit of a second goose on the right side and it just needs to get cropped out of there. Actually, I'd take the first, crop that goose's head out on the right side, and maybe even some of the main goose, then crop all the way down to the water on the top of the photo, and then I think you'd have something pretty decent.

The duck shots, not so much. On the plus side, they seem reasonably well exposed, although it looks like you had some pretty harsh lighting. They also seem about as sharp as you're likely to get 'em with that lens. But the perspective is simply not interesting. Try getting down and shooting them more even with the duck instead of shooting down at them.

Not a bad start, really, but if you get hooked on wildlife, trust me, that kit lens will get replaced QUICKLY for something with more reach.

Nice job Stig, it might be time to start looking at a longer lens if you plan on doing more wildlife :thumbup:

Thanks! Heres a repost following sm's suggestions:

12688197414_278a053fd0_o.jpg
[/URL] Goose-edited by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

And a telephoto lens is next on my agenda, as I also plan on trying to do a lot of the motorsports events I go to. My budget is TIGHT, but I've nearly convinced the wife on a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF. I plan on going down to our local shop and seeing what they might have used up for sale as well.
And the lighting was harsh, it was around 2:30, but we have been getting nasty evening winds and I really didn't feel like going out in that :D I'm actually surprised with how the ducks came out, they were fairly far back and I had to enlarge a decent amount. The goose I was able to get to about 5-6' from me.

Last edited:
Better on the repost.Good start.

Thanks! Heres a repost following sm's suggestions:

12688197414_278a053fd0_o.jpg
[/URL] Goose-edited by TheNevadanStig, on Flickr[/IMG]

And a telephoto lens is next on my agenda, as I also plan on trying to do a lot of the motorsports events I go to. My budget is TIGHT, but I've nearly convinced the wife on a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF. I plan on going down to our local shop and seeing what they might have used up for sale as well.
And the lighting was harsh, it was around 2:30, but we have been getting nasty evening winds and I really didn't feel like going out in that :D I'm actually surprised with how the ducks came out, they were fairly far back and I had to enlarge a decent amount. The goose I was able to get to about 5-6' from me.

Much better, imo!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back