First attempt panning

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Picked an easy one.. lol. Thing's fast though for a little car..

This 70-300 is has 2 different stabilization methods. Manual says put it on 2 for panning.. I forget why but it helps I guess.

Here's 2 shots. I like the first one's composition more..

C&C if you want but I only posted because the LACK OF PICTURES AND ABUNDANCE OF WORDY DISCUSSION THREADS ON THIS FORUM IS BOTHERING ME.

:D

bellazoomzoom1.jpg

bellazoomzoom2.jpg

If you're looking for advice on the panning technique, #2 is certainly better. The car is much more clear, but not perfect. (Panning isn't easy.) May I ask your technique? Are you panning and shooting continuously? Or just taking one shot at a time? The only successes I've had panning were when I'd shoot on continuous, and out of 20 or 30 shots, I might get 1 clear shot of the subject.

I do like the composition of #1 better, however. :)

Do you pan all the way through your shot, or do you stop when you take or finger off the shutter release? You should keep panning for a second or two at the same speed after you take the last shot. It keeps the flow going while the camera finishes writing the last files. Continuous works better.

I'll give a few examples, but mostly everything I do in photography I've somewhat learned from military/firearm training. In this case, it's a bit of military and a bit of sports!

In most sports one of the biggest things to learn is how to use Follow-through. In baseball as a pitcher I was taught that follow through is *incredibly* important because it keeps your mind occupied and makes sure that you complete the action in the way it is required. The same is true in basketball while shooting. Follow-through is incredibly important (and the reason you see NBA players keep their arms up until the ball makes contact with the silk). It makes for a much smoother action and makes sure you don't stop prematurely (even if, in your mind, you wouldn't have).

Here are some of my examples. I don't have too many (I don't pan too much but here are a few), but they should illustrate my point.

3896820131_a8bdf17c32_b.jpg

These F-16C fighter jets cruise at roughly 800mph (but at this altitude they very well could have been breaching 1,000mph -- most shows they don't go above around 800-900mph though). This was at full 200mm zoom if I'm not mistaken (or fairly close to it).

3897626384_ea7a915448_b.jpg

Same thing here

I agree with follow-through on everything from panning photography to boxing. Those jet shots are terrific btw.

Yeah, 2 is clearer, just wish she was facing me like in #1.

I was in single shot mode, trying my best to stay steady and follow through. I was sitting on the front steps with my elbows on my knees for support.

I was just giving it a first try, half-serious, was surprised they weren't completely burred.. shutter speeds are 1/30 and 1/60 at 85mm and 140mm respectively to #1 and #2.

Thanks for the feedback, just wanted to share.

I like the first shot more than the second one, because the turned front wheels look more 'active',and her face and her personage are larger in the frame. But she looks like she's been stuck in traffic for 30 minutes with that expression! Still,a cute shot though. Panning shots are pretty tricky. The second shot is technically a smoother panning shot, but the angled-away-from-camera travel of the little girl and her battery-operated car is not as action-like as the first shot. I kind of like longer, slower-speed panning shots where things are sort of blurry and impressionistic, and I often go with speeds like 1/3 to 1/8 second. A stabilized lens (VR, IS, OS, VC whatever your brand of lens calls it) or a camera with in-body stabilization makes these slow speed pans turn out much better than they did in the old days. The biggest problem with panning shots is how many rejects there are! Luckily, with the Barbie Mustang, the little darling can race back and forth and not get tired and you can shoot,shoot,shoot!

Thanks Derrel. She likes riding around in that thing (despite the look on her face, lol) so I'll be trying again under the same conditions. I'll try with a slower shutter too, should be a disaster and a learning experience all in one.

I agree with follow-through on everything from panning photography to boxing.
I was in single shot mode, trying my best to stay steady and follow through. I was sitting on the front steps with my elbows on my knees for support.

I wish I could see these. I'm at work, so some images are blocked.

Unless you need to be down low for subject, and if you are going hand-held I have found standing works well.

Start with feet facing forward, then pivot your hip toward the direction where the subject will be coming from, and follow with feet firmly planted pivoting with your hips to follow. (For left to right or vice versa panning).
Article if it helps anyone: Myfotoguy: Panning to Capture Dynamic Photos

What kid wouldn't like an open-top Mustang???

When I first tried to get her to use it she cried...

This was my face: :er:

Took her a little bit but she's warming up to it.

When I first tried to get her to use it she cried...

This was my face: :er:

Took her a little bit but she's warming up to it.

Do you suppose she might be have been born a Chevy lover??? I mean--did she want the Barbie Corvette? What's your wife's side of the family like?? (full disclosure, I have a soft spot for vintage Mustangs in the 1967-1969 era...)

Well Derrel I'm not married but her mom drives a Ford too, as do I. Wouldn't surprise me though, she's a defiant young kid.

My favorite Mustang is a 1970 Mach 1 - but this is the bucket of bolts I drive now:
signewmarch-1.jpg

Owning a Ford means being familiar with your tools.

I like the first one. I agree with Derrel about the turned wheel and her face. Nice capture!

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'll be trying this again soon, not just with the daughter and her zoomzoom but on other things as well.

I'll try the technique you described Tim, sounds almost like swinging a golf club

Most reactions

New Topics

Back