First attempt with Instects. C&C.

Tulsa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never shot insects of any sort, My In-laws told me about the bee that was always hanging around their flowers, so I took the new Canon 1D and 70-200 f4 IS, and had some fun.

It was fun doing something different, I have been doing a lot of portraits, and before them a lot of landscapes.

7B8B7820.jpg

7B8B7823.jpg

7B8B7825.jpg

might help if I spelled the title correctly. DOH!

Last edited:
I like the last one the best... Wish the bottom wasn't blurred out. I know the problem... You have tooooo much camera for taking shots of bees. I just had a great idea... I'll trade you my XSI for you 1D! My camera is MUCH more suited for bee pictures. I'll even throw in the kit leans!!! Now that's a sweet deal! ***please be stupid... please be stupid... please be stupid***

Haha, I agree, I think the last one was the most detailed, On the first two, I could not keep the bees body from being too saturated, which took some detail away, although, his backside is normally dark, but there should be some detail there.

XSI huh? You could sell that and buy a 1D, I started with the XSI, I recently picked up a XTI in a trade deal, I though about keeping it, but once I shot it, I could not believe the difference between it and the 1d, or even a 30d. It felt like a toy. Seriously though, step up and get the original 1d!

3 is nice - I like the detail on the wings. I agree about the blur at the bottom. I wish the bee wasn't hiding his head. Try to find a bee that isn't shy next time.

I like the crop on 1 too. Wish the the bee was less centered.

2 is too soft I think (bee-wise).

BTW, is it the lens or the sensor that needed cleaning?

Overall, nice job! Those guys are hard to get.

Intersting colours in these - they feel muted in some manner, but not badly I think the overall effect works rather well - esp in the last shot.

I would say though - f4 - you have one dusty sensor there as I can see a few dustspots appearing. I would be prepared to head off to a shop and have the sensor fully cleaned up with dust appearing at f4. If not just give the sensor a good home cleaning.

Yeah, I realized after I edited these it needs to be cleaned, I did not notice the spot, I thought they were on my dirty laptop screen. There was a good sized dust spot on the sensor when I got the camera, I cleaned it, but it looks like some more dust got in there.

I recently picked up a XTI in a trade deal, I though about keeping it, but once I shot it, I could not believe the difference between it and the 1d, or even a 30d. It felt like a toy. Seriously though, step up and get the original 1d!

Very good first attempt. 3rd is best among the three.

If you are comparing XTI with 1D then I guess XTI must be a great camera :)

I recently picked up a XTI in a trade deal, I though about keeping it, but once I shot it, I could not believe the difference between it and the 1d, or even a 30d. It felt like a toy. Seriously though, step up and get the original 1d!

Very good first attempt. 3rd is best among the three.

If you are comparing XTI with 1D then I guess XTI must be a great camera :)

Thanks, I look forward to doing some more, I got a few shots of some Martins in flight, but they seem too noisy, I might post one up and see what yall think.

Haha, yeah... thats why I referred to the XTI as a toy.:mrgreen:
I started with an XSI, I loved that thing, now that I have moved on, I cannot believe I waited so long to upgrade!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back