First attempts with indoor lighting. c&c please.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by lunaaa, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lunaaa

lunaaa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    They are not so good i know but i dont have any equipment and i'm struggling with indoor lighting and these are my first attempts .
    What do you think about composition and lighting?
    Any advice or tip is much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Iso 400,Aperture F/5,Shutter Speed 1/30 sec

[​IMG]
    Iso 400,Aperture F/9,Shutter Speed 1/200 sec

[​IMG]
    Iso 400, F/5.3,Shutter Speed 1/80

[​IMG]
    Iso 400, F/5.3,Shutter Speed 1/80

2. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think they're pretty good for what your working with,imo.

3. lunaaa

lunaaa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you,i used a small DIY lightbox and 2 small room lamps.in no2 i used the camera's flash as fill light thats no3 has less shadows and looks a little blue.

4. oldmacman

oldmacman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The simplest thing to work on is the white balance. I corrected the bracelet for fluorescent lighting. The unbalanced lighting is blowing out detail. Use a key light (primary light) from one direction and the second light to provide details in the shadows (fill light). A straight flash, like picture 2 is going to give you undesirable shadows, but the colour is better. Can you go off camera with your flash?
    [​IMG]

5. Robin Usagani

Robin Usagani Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    since you are shooting a still object, why dont you try long shutter with less lighting and no direct light? Lets see the comparisons.

6. lunaaa

lunaaa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for taking the time to edit my photo . The colors are more into blue,is that better?
    I used 2 light sources but i made a mistake that i didnt notice until now,that one of the lamps i used is higher watt number than the other that's why the left side has more shadows than the other and a different color.
    I only have the camera's flash but i'm saving up to get a better gear.
    White balance settings confuse me that everytime i take a photo i hesitate on which WB setting should i choose.(i'm a noob:confused:)

7. lunaaa

lunaaa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay i will try this out today and post the results.

8. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    All of your photos are extremely warm and off as far as white balance is concerned. There are places this can work however I think this wasn't the intention here.

#1. Many blown highlights and I can see you holding your camera in a part of the jewelery.

#2. There is a gradation from warm white to cool white (top right to bottom left) Also the keys being out of focus and closer while the lock is so far away just isn't working for me compositionally speaking. I'm sure you were just grabbing whatever you can find though, so this probably wasn't the biggest worry in your mind.

#3. Pretty much the same as #2, except the gradation problem is going bottom left to top right now.

#4. Top left to bottom right gradation again, as well as the overall image being very warm. Highlight problems.

From what I can see you need to buy some blackboard! Take some light out and control those highlights better :) It'll take some getting used to but most likely a little blackboard will go a very long way!

9. oldmacman

oldmacman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, yes, the shadows do have a bit of blue in them, but the black reads as black now. As for WB, if you are using a Canon they often have trouble with WB, especially indoors. It will also depend on your picture style as different styles will be warmer or cooler than others. Try Standard or Faithful.

Tungsten - your standard lightbulb (AKA - incandescent) will give the warm cast to photos: orangish.
    Fluorescent - any of the new compact long life bulbs or the type of bulb used in offices. It will give a greenish/yellow cast.
    Daylight - is a cooler, blue light. If you have your camera set to tungsten, you will get an icy blue cast when shooting in daylight.

Bottom line, if you are not getting the colour you are expecting then force the camera into the correct WB mode.

10. lunaaa

lunaaa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    okay so this gradation should be fixed by correctly setting the WB before shooting?

11. lunaaa

lunaaa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay i get it now . Thanks for clearing it up

12. LCARSx32

LCARSx32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The gradation, from what I can tell, is from uneven lighting. Try diffusing the light from your flash or other lights with a white piece of paper (held in front) or a white sheet. There are diffusers you can buy that will mount on your flash. The larger one's for bigger lights are called "softboxes".