First attempts with indoor lighting. c&c please.

lunaaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
They are not so good i know but i dont have any equipment and i'm struggling with indoor lighting and these are my first attempts .
What do you think about composition and lighting?
Any advice or tip is much appreciated.

n.jpg

Iso 400,Aperture F/5,Shutter Speed 1/30 sec

DSC_0918.jpg

Iso 400,Aperture F/9,Shutter Speed 1/200 sec

DSC_0893.jpg

Iso 400, F/5.3,Shutter Speed 1/80

DSC_0839.jpg

Iso 400, F/5.3,Shutter Speed 1/80

Thank you,i used a small DIY lightbox and 2 small room lamps.in no2 i used the camera's flash as fill light thats no3 has less shadows and looks a little blue.

The simplest thing to work on is the white balance. I corrected the bracelet for fluorescent lighting. The unbalanced lighting is blowing out detail. Use a key light (primary light) from one direction and the second light to provide details in the shadows (fill light). A straight flash, like picture 2 is going to give you undesirable shadows, but the colour is better. Can you go off camera with your flash?
l9ungq

since you are shooting a still object, why dont you try long shutter with less lighting and no direct light? Lets see the comparisons.

The simplest thing to work on is the white balance. I corrected the bracelet for fluorescent lighting. The unbalanced lighting is blowing out detail. Use a key light (primary light) from one direction and the second light to provide details in the shadows (fill light). A straight flash, like picture 2 is going to give you undesirable shadows, but the colour is better. Can you go off camera with your flash?
l9ungq

Thank you for taking the time to edit my photo . The colors are more into blue,is that better?
I used 2 light sources but i made a mistake that i didnt notice until now,that one of the lamps i used is higher watt number than the other that's why the left side has more shadows than the other and a different color.
I only have the camera's flash but i'm saving up to get a better gear.
White balance settings confuse me that everytime i take a photo i hesitate on which WB setting should i choose.(i'm a noob:confused:)

since you are shooting a still object, why dont you try long shutter with less lighting and no direct light? Lets see the comparisons.

Okay i will try this out today and post the results.

All of your photos are extremely warm and off as far as white balance is concerned. There are places this can work however I think this wasn't the intention here.

#1. Many blown highlights and I can see you holding your camera in a part of the jewelery.

#2. There is a gradation from warm white to cool white (top right to bottom left) Also the keys being out of focus and closer while the lock is so far away just isn't working for me compositionally speaking. I'm sure you were just grabbing whatever you can find though, so this probably wasn't the biggest worry in your mind.

#3. Pretty much the same as #2, except the gradation problem is going bottom left to top right now.

#4. Top left to bottom right gradation again, as well as the overall image being very warm. Highlight problems.

From what I can see you need to buy some blackboard! Take some light out and control those highlights better :) It'll take some getting used to but most likely a little blackboard will go a very long way!

Thank you for taking the time to edit my photo . The colors are more into blue,is that better?

Well, yes, the shadows do have a bit of blue in them, but the black reads as black now. As for WB, if you are using a Canon they often have trouble with WB, especially indoors. It will also depend on your picture style as different styles will be warmer or cooler than others. Try Standard or Faithful.

Tungsten - your standard lightbulb (AKA - incandescent) will give the warm cast to photos: orangish.
Fluorescent - any of the new compact long life bulbs or the type of bulb used in offices. It will give a greenish/yellow cast.
Daylight - is a cooler, blue light. If you have your camera set to tungsten, you will get an icy blue cast when shooting in daylight.

Bottom line, if you are not getting the colour you are expecting then force the camera into the correct WB mode.

All of your photos are extremely warm and off as far as white balance is concerned. There are places this can work however I think this wasn't the intention here.

#1. Many blown highlights and I can see you holding your camera in a part of the jewelery.

#2. There is a gradation from warm white to cool white (top right to bottom left) Also the keys being out of focus and closer while the lock is so far away just isn't working for me compositionally speaking. I'm sure you were just grabbing whatever you can find though, so this probably wasn't the biggest worry in your mind.

#3. Pretty much the same as #2, except the gradation problem is going bottom left to top right now.

#4. Top left to bottom right gradation again, as well as the overall image being very warm. Highlight problems.

From what I can see you need to buy some blackboard! Take some light out and control those highlights better :) It'll take some getting used to but most likely a little blackboard will go a very long way!

okay so this gradation should be fixed by correctly setting the WB before shooting?

Well, yes, the shadows do have a bit of blue in them, but the black reads as black now. As for WB, if you are using a Canon they often have trouble with WB, especially indoors. It will also depend on your picture style as different styles will be warmer or cooler than others. Try Standard or Faithful.

Tungsten - your standard lightbulb (AKA - incandescent) will give the warm cast to photos: orangish.
Fluorescent - any of the new compact long life bulbs or the type of bulb used in offices. It will give a greenish/yellow cast.
Daylight - is a cooler, blue light. If you have your camera set to tungsten, you will get an icy blue cast when shooting in daylight.

Bottom line, if you are not getting the colour you are expecting then force the camera into the correct WB mode.

Okay i get it now . Thanks for clearing it up

The gradation, from what I can tell, is from uneven lighting. Try diffusing the light from your flash or other lights with a white piece of paper (held in front) or a white sheet. There are diffusers you can buy that will mount on your flash. The larger one's for bigger lights are called "softboxes".

The gradation, from what I can tell, is from uneven lighting. Try diffusing the light from your flash or other lights with a white piece of paper (held in front) or a white sheet. There are diffusers you can buy that will mount on your flash. The larger one's for bigger lights are called "softboxes".

Yes the lighting was not even i think that was the problem i need to work on that a bit ,its kind o hard for me because i'm a noob and i use self made stuff but its also fun to practice so i will try diffusing the light and hope i get better results.thanks

Have you tried my suggestion?

Have you tried my suggestion?

Straight out of the camera and no pp done these were shot with less lighting and slower shutter speed. let me know what you think.

CSC_0984.jpg

CSC_0984.jpg

Most reactions

Back