First attenpt at a major fix

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Fictional Warrior, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Fictional Warrior

Fictional Warrior TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just yesterday I was out at a fair thing, and they had a parade with some classic cars and trucks in it. I took a few shots of this truck here, but some people and other cars were in it, So, I used Paint.NET to do some correcting, just wanted some opinions on the edited version, it was my first time correcting something on such a large scale. Thanks.

P.S: Both Images were taken with my Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ28 Digital camera. First image is only cropped and the faces have been blurred. Second image is cropped and fully edited to add some focus to the truck and some unique flare. Before edit:

[​IMG]

After Edit: [​IMG]

2. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it would have been easier to select the truck and replace the background completely than to try to fix all that in my opinion. Easier if you have photoshop which I assume you don't since you used a Paint program.

3. Fictional Warrior

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Paint.NET ( Paint.NET - Download )is a free alternative to Photoshop. Much like GIMP in its abilities, but more user-friendly. I have both programs but prefer Paint.NET.

And I could have done that easily with Paint.NET, but wanted to test my abilities in replacing what is real, with what isn't. Instead of simply extracting the truck from that photo and making it part mine and part someone else's I wanted to clone out the other distractions. Took me a few hours to do it all, and I know it's not perfect, but yeah lol.

Thanks for the suggestion (I'm going to try that now, just for fun), but I was asking more for opinions on how well I did what I did, or just a general opinion on the picture itself.

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    wow.

I mean it's not perfect, but that's pretty impressive.

5. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't get me wrong, I still think you did a good job. There's really not a whole lot to touch up. Mostly just the grass on the left. Awesome truck btw... and welcome to TPF!

6. Fictional Warrior

Photos NOT OK to edit
    @ manahiem: Thanks.

@ Big: Thanks and thanks for the welcome. Yeah, that grass was troublesome, cause I didn't have much of it to clone, and I had a lot of ground to cover. I like the right side of the pic, like from the cab back, but the left, hmmm... Not happy with it.

I tried what you said, and got the truck out and saved as a .png, now I just need to find a suitable background image. I tried to find one of my own pics for it to fit in, but none really worked.
    The truck itself in .png:
    [​IMG]

Gonna go back to edit the one with the grass problem, I think I found a brush in GIMP that seems to produce a good random pattern that makes it look more grass-like.

7. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Eek! That selection needs some redoing. That aliasing isn't so hot. Or anti-alias it some-how.

8. Fictional Warrior

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You mean the parts of shadow I didn't remove? Or...?

Now, I think the next one looks better, not a render, but a change of the grass on the original edit. Makes it look like it actually has some texture to it.

[​IMG]

9. Parkerman

Parkerman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thing I see other than the grass/sidewalk that stands out to me is the corner of that building... It needs to be redone. You can tell a repeated pattern, as well as see that the corner has a curve where you edited it.

10. Fictional Warrior

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, true. I suppose it needs fixed. xD This certainly is not an easy picture to fix, so much had to be removed, it's like 50% faked. Thanks for the feedback, I shall see what I can do sometime soon, hopefully.