First Baby Portriats... C & C

Rosshole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will prefacr this by saying that the light was a wireless triggered SB-600 bounced off of the ceiling. I have since aquired a reflective and shoot through umbrella and will be getting a 2nd light soon.

I shot these for a friend for their three month portraits (for free obviously) as I start to get my feet wet. I am not sure if I ever would start charging people, but i enjoy doing it for them.

Please let me know what you think!

4795936239_24000db1a0_b.jpg

4795955215_eaed47928c_b.jpg

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
I love the second one, though maybe a bit more DOF to keep both eyes in focus next time.

The first one is cute too, but might benefit from cropping out some of the space on the right.

Just my opinions. Nice shots. :)

adorable! great job! I agree with cropping the first one a little bit on the right.

Thank you for the comments... Good call on the slim DOF.

Round two, (at some point) should be a lot better.

here is a crop of #1...

4796987736_7577c99a63_b.jpg

Nice shots. Cute baby. And I definitely like the crop on #1

Are these PP or SOOC?

that is such a cute baby i love one the best it puts a smile on my face and makes me say awwwwwww

The second one made my ovaries dance.

That's pretttttttty much the highest compliment you can get from me concerning baby photos.

Kudos.

The first photo has a very nice quality of lighting in it--light,airy,lovely color, eye color is shown, pupils of the subject are not hugely dilated...has very small,delicate catchlights, looks good. The pose is a bit off, but infants at that age have to be posed most of the time,and then the shot snapped within 3 seconds or so, before they squirm out of position. And, an infant at that age can barely do a tummy pose, so not too bad overall.

I do not like the look of the lighting in the second shot nearly as much--it does not possess the same delicate, light, lovely lighting. The second photo has a stronger shadow showing on the nose, and looks like maybe a flash + daylight type of shot. It just doesnt have the appealing,delicate,soft lighting that the first shot has.

Thanks for your thoughts Derrel. I was working with minimal lighting equipment and was doing the best i could as my friend (the mother) was close by helping with keeping baby happy. The flash was switched from on side to the other for the second shot and I see the difference that it made for those poses.

I am pretty new to Off Camera Flash, but I learned a lot from this short session and I hope to learn this much every time I shoot!

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Back