First baby shoot this weekend

Maggedy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And the verdict is ... I have no idea how to shoot a baby! I am now in awe of newborn photographers. I ended up mainly shooting mom holding the baby in an odd place - the stairs. The house was big and new without much furniture, and everywhere else we went, they seemed to get lost.

Anyway, this was rough. What are my take-aways for next time?

there good shots, but why if you have a 7d are you in the beginners forum?

Maggedy
The photos look alittle awkward and uncomfortable.
The first is over exposed as you lose part of the baby to the light.
The second is sweet but can't see baby's face.
The third the baby face is still not fully in shot.
I like the fourth shot the best, it seems to have more of a natural intimate pose. A soft kiss from the mother would've been an added touch.
Not sure if B&W works here.
Take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm still new but I'm sure you'll master these too as with your other photos.

I liek the shots they seem to be very comfortable and since they were done at the clients home she and the baby seem to just flow with it. Just a quick question why did you go with B&W. I'm also new to this glorious photography game :D

i like them cause of the mood ......

I honestly can't get past that the Mother would wear a random Tee Shirt that is really noticeable in #1 and #2. That has nothing to do with your skills but it still distracts from the overall feel of the pictures for me.

there good shots, but why if you have a 7d are you in the beginners forum?

Um, because I still feel like a beginner. I've been shooting for 6 months, amd passionate enough about it that I upgraded to the 7D, and while I can take some great photos, I still have moments like this where everything goes wrong.

I don't feel advanced at all yet.

I liek the shots they seem to be very comfortable and since they were done at the clients home she and the baby seem to just flow with it. Just a quick question why did you go with B&W. I'm also new to this glorious photography game :D

Because they were done in her home I ended up with several competing elements - junk in the background, stripes on the quilt, stripes on the baby, green t-shirt on mom. They really either needed faded color processing or B&W. I happen to like this chocolate BW effect.

I honestly can't get past that the Mother would wear a random Tee Shirt that is really noticeable in #1 and #2. That has nothing to do with your skills but it still distracts from the overall feel of the pictures for me.

She was sensitive about her other shirts being too revealing and felt comfortable in that. I agree with you.

Most reactions

Back