First boudoir shoot. Tell me what you think.

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so this is my first ever boudoir shoot. Mostly one directional lighting. tell me what you think. Sorry about the distracting sheets. She forgot to change before I came over. There are more but I dont want to download them all.
2bw.jpg

layingdownarmsup.jpg

On number 1, the angle and lens distortion changed the proportion of her upper body, which in tern shorten her legs. She doesn't look relaxed mostly due to the position of her left arm. I would frame it a bit tighter. I think you got too much of the bottom of the sofa.

On number 2, both of her arms are stretched out. I would change them a bit, put one hand resting on her chest and the other under her head or something. The cropping is right at the joints, probably not a good idea.

On both, vignette is a bit strong so it's distracting to me but I guess that's personal preference. She didn't make eye contact with the camera in either one. That's also personal preference. For portrait, I prefer my subject to communicate with the viewers by making eye contact, expressing emotions through different facial expressions and body language.

Other than the things mentioned by Vtec44, my question is "where's the boudoir?" This looks more like a living room and it was not what I expected to see when I opened this thread up. For the first one, I suggest that the last place you want to pose someone is on a leather(?) couch that has a high reflectivity (maybe it's not leather, but it sure is reflective) as the flash back tends to grab the viewer's eye and it is a distraction from the main subject. In keeping with the theme of distractions, you are quite right - the sheets in the second one are just that - a distraction.

Boudoir "shots" are supposed to be sexy and intriguing - they are mood shots, supposedly to create feelings for the intended viewer. There is no "mood"in these shots at all - no sense of glamour or feeling - maybe the colour would work better. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Have any where she looks at the camera? Both of these would have been better had she been looking into the lens.

Her head looks like as big as a watermelon. You used too wide of a lens.

Where have you been?

Yes I actually do but I havent edited them yet. As for her head, unfortunately thats actually how big it is. She likes her hair that way and Im not sure why. Thanks for the tips guys. So what I gather is more eye contact, more emotion and different lense zoom. Westernguy I thought the leather would look sexy but I guess the reflection is too distracting. I think its actually pleather not sure either.
Once again thanks for the help guys.

Her head looks like as big as a watermelon. You used too wide of a lens.

Where have you been?

Schwety,Schweety,Schwetty--your first phrase is terrible. It needs a comma!!! As in: "Her head looks like, as big as a watermelon."

I agree--the distortion from the short focal length lens makes her head look very oddly-shaped...

her head is oddly shaped. Its her hair style. Too much back combing. Im not a hairdresser though so I couldnt say anything.

Dude, her head may be oddly shaped....but listen to people when they tell you that by using such a short focal length (21mm) and being so close, you are adding distortion.

You could have zoomed in (and stepped back), you could have moved to your right, so that you weren't closer to her head & torso, than the rest of her.

Another indicator....look at the size of her hand, and compare that to the size of her foot.

her head is oddly shaped. Its her hair style. Too much back combing. Im not a hairdresser though so I couldnt say anything.

Well, you've got tact on your side, k-b. Looking closely at the distortion in the size/spatial relationships that a wide-angle lens causes, and being able to "see" that distortion, is one of the trickiest things in learning how to utilize a wide lens at close ranges...one thing that would have eliminated the head size thing is to have moved the camera over to the right about five steps...THAT would have elongated her legs, and evened out the couch's size and shape...it's a very commonly-used way to emphasize the length of a model's legs...

She would also look good positioned on her side, with her head resting on her hand, and her elbow supporting the arms and hand...you know what I mean... Overall, not too bad on the first shot. The second image...ehhh...that pose never has appealed to me...it just does not compute...it's not engaging, it's not sexy, not alluring...doesn't matter if it's Miranda Kerr or Candace Swanopell or Cindy Crawford or Jessica Alba sprawled out...that pose has always seemed like what is called a throwaway, to me at least.

Well on a positive note, no glare exists on her glasses as a result of your strobes.

Ok so zoom in a bit more next time and get a different angle. Sorry I was using equipment I wasnt used to (I borrowed the models lens) 18-108mm. Im used to shooting a 55-200mm but as you guys can remember that was stolen. I totally get your guys point her hand is way bigger than her feet. Quite funny actually. Luckily I did this for free.

Other than the things mentioned by Vtec44, my question is "where's the boudoir?" This looks more like a living room and it was not what I expected to see when I opened this thread up. For the first one, I suggest that the last place you want to pose someone is on a leather(?) couch that has a high reflectivity (maybe it's not leather, but it sure is reflective) as the flash back tends to grab the viewer's eye and it is a distraction from the main subject. In keeping with the theme of distractions, you are quite right - the sheets in the second one are just that - a distraction.

Boudoir "shots" are supposed to be sexy and intriguing - they are mood shots, supposedly to create feelings for the intended viewer. There is no "mood"in these shots at all - no sense of glamour or feeling - maybe the colour would work better. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
I agree with this^^

Ok, I'm totally a newbie to photography, but I've done some modeling and just wanted to comment on this post to see if you were open to criticism about the actual boudoir/prop/posing aspect of these pictures rather than just the photography (since I am most definitely not qualified to offer advice on that :) ) ??? It may help in the future if you plan on doing more boudoir to have input on those things. But since I'm super new here and just a lurker I wanted to make sure that was ok to do before I just posted it and pissed people off or something :lol:

Last edited:
I wanted to make sure that was ok to do before I just posted it and pissed people off or something :lol:

Trust me...that never has stopped anyone here. haha

lol, yeah looking through some posts that seems to be the case.

Well.... here's my input on the pictures. Before I get started I want to say that I don't want any of this to come off rude. Just looking at this from a woman's perspective and knowing how I would like to look in boudoir photos. Strictly talking about modeling and props since I don't know much about actual photography. I will say that I like your choice of black and white. Always a nice choice with pale skin and dark hair :).

First pic. Leather is not always sexy, especially when it's a big, fluffy, squishy couch that looks like it belongs in some guy's basement man-cave. I think it would've been sexy if it was a sleek, modern leather sofa or chaise, but the big, fluffy couch kind of kills it for me. Next, and this is commenting more on her choice of wardrobe (maybe next time you do a boudoir shoot you can make suggestions?) the bra part of her top doesn't fit. She needs a smaller size, or better yet a corset. The top highlights her flat-chestedness instead of making her look like a goddess (all boudoir shoots should result in women feeling like goddesses ;) ). You may not have any control over what they choose to wear BUT if they choose to wear something that doesn't fit like that, poses where they are leaning back or laying down are only going to make it worse. Last, but not least, one thing I LOATHE is being able to see the seams at the toes of somebody's stockings or tights *shudders*. Maybe it's just me but it gives me the creeps, lol. She should be wearing pumps or no stockings, or at the very least pull the seams to the back of the toes so that they're not visible. That was literally the first detail about this photo that I noticed.

Second pic. I hate her necklace. It just doesn't go with the whole shoot. I also don't like the printed cotton sheets/comforter, they look cheap. I think the best sheet option for boudoir are crisp white or something pretty that has texture to it. The biggest issue I have is the pose. Flat on your back with your arms up is probably the single most unflattering pose a woman can do. There's a reason breast exams are done in this pose (yes, I just said that, lol). It totally flattens your breasts. See how the bra cups of the top look even more empty than before in this (that weird grey space just inside the cups). Plus armpits and the squishy side of your arm are not the hottest things to accentuate. I think putting a woman into an unflattering pose makes her less comfortable/confident and therefore is less likely to model well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back