First BW for C&C PLEASE!

kass617

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is obviously just converted from a color pic. First time I really tried to pp a BW pic... I was going for a high contrast look...and I know I cut off the elboy, but she's a squirmy one, lol... all C&C is welcome and appreciated!

Lia_pp_03_1.jpg

Good expression you've captured. A little tiny bit of catchlight cloned onto the lower eyeball would probably make this shot look a bit better, but I would not go overboard on the size of the pasted-in catchlight, or it will look faked to the visually sophisticated viewer. The overall contrast of the image looks roughly like traditional fine-grain B&W film would look, so the monochrome conversion is a success on that level.

Although many might not agree, I think the composition is a tad bit "tense" ,and although it's not generally traditional, this is the kind of shot where cropping a little bit more off the left side, maybe even into the top of the baby's head, would give a better overall, total balance to the shot, with the baby's line of gaze factored in.

I just held up my cropping L's on my big monitor...I think cropping well into the baby's hairline, almost down to the bottom of the hair on the forehead, is also a viable, worthwhile alternate crop on this shot. Might be worth a look or two to see what you think about it cropped a couple different ways.

YMMV. Best to You,
Derrel

Good expression you've captured. A little tiny bit of catchlight cloned onto the lower eyeball would probably make this shot look a bit better, but I would not go overboard on the size of the pasted-in catchlight, or it will look faked to the visually sophisticated viewer. The overall contrast of the image looks roughly like traditional fine-grain B&W film would look, so the monochrome conversion is a success on that level.

Although many might not agree, I think the composition is a tad bit "tense" ,and although it's not generally traditional, this is the kind of shot where cropping a little bit more off the left side, maybe even into the top of the baby's head, would give a better overall, total balance to the shot, with the baby's line of gaze factored in.

I just held up my cropping L's on my big monitor...I think cropping well into the baby's hairline, almost down to the bottom of the hair on the forehead, is also a viable, worthwhile alternate crop on this shot. Might be worth a look or two to see what you think about it cropped a couple different ways.

YMMV. Best to You,
Derrel

I'll try that idea about cropping... I'm too new to start "breaking the rules" lol. This is already cropped from the left, I was originally trying to get her between a couple out of focus toys, but the blur on the toys was a bit distracting. Should I try maybe sharpening the eyes a bit more in PS? I thought I had them in focus, but now looking at it again they seem a bit soft. Any more recommendations would be great.

Thanks

just a bump to see if anyone else can chime in with some tips/comments.

Thanks

Try adding. Filter in post or tweak the colors. Adding a red filter many time helps with the skin by removing any flushed areas. Just tinker with different colors. Not bad thouhh other than what you stated.

Ok here's an edit

1. Catchlight added to other eye
2. Red filter added before BW conversion
3. Cropped
4. Sharpened eyes

Lia.jpg

Most reactions

Back