First Camera Advice

rjcny01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am in the real estate industry and have been considering getting into photography for real estate and marketing purposes. I have done tons of research and was hoping on getting some advice on my first setup. I was leaning toward the Nikon d5500 but am wondering if I will outgrow it and should just spend a little more in the beginning on a better camera. I am also reading that the camera is less a concern than a good lens. So the question in as a first time camera owner what would be a good but affordable unit to start with for real estate photography and also some video recording (virtual tours and vlog posts) Also am looking for advice on a good wide angle lenses for interior shots. Any advice would be appreciated. Budget would be around $800-$1200 to start because I need other equipment too like software and tripods...

The D5500 should be a good place to start. The swivel screen can help with videos.

One of the stand-out DSLR cameras for video is the D750: It's Nikon's do-it-all DSLR that serves professionals and prosumers alike. However, it is a $2000+ DSLR, which is out of the budget.

Do note, if you purchase a D5500, you are investing in APS-C (crop sensor). This isn't a big deal, but the way you're wording things, it sounds like you want to start somewhere and move up. If you get, say, an ultrawide lens for a crop sensor camera such as the D5500, it really won't be worth taking over to a full frame camera. Do you need full frame? Nope. But it's worth considering, and it's worth having the knowledge.

I would assume you would need an ultrawide angle lens for interior photography. On crop sensor, that's probably going to be a Nikon 10-24mm (or other cheaper options start at around $500).

The D5500 is nice but only slightly better than the D5300 which, since it's last years model, is very much more in your price range. You can get the Nikon 18-140 lens with it and get something like a Sigma 10-20mm to go along with it. That combination will do everything you want and a lot more.
A little better perhaps a D7200.
If you want to turn pro or just have a lot of money then go full frame.

I have used the D5300 with a Tamron 10-24mm lens and it was great. I personally don't feel the 5500 is worth the extra money for what you get. You need to remember that a 10-24mm lens on a crop camera is really a 15-36mm lens. That said 15mm is a great lens. Good luck with your decision.

D5300 + a really wide-angle zoom like 10-24 would be good. Add a tripod with a decent head for video-making. NO advantage to full-frame really.

One of the stand-out DSLR cameras for video is the D750: It's Nikon's do-it-all DSLR that serves professionals and prosumers alike. However, it is a $2000+ DSLR, which is out of the budget.
As a full frame camera, it would also need different, more expensive glas.

Most reactions

Back