First Camera

skateordie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys looking to get my first camera for my course Multimedia arts and sciences and was wondering whats a nice camera to have?? Id like to shoot still photos but I also skate and maybe a camera that would capture moving pictures would be nice so yeah I dont know much so thanks for the advice.

Hi and welcome to TPF. You've come to the right place as many TPF members are very knowledgeable about equipment. However, it is going to be difficult to help you if you don't tell us about your budget. Camera prices range from a few hundred $ to many thousands...

For $300-500 you're not going to get a DSLR with video. The cheapest bodies around are ~$300 and that doesn't include a lens. I highly recommend going used to get the best deal. A used Nikon D40 is around $300 these days. The 35mm f1.8 ($200, if you can find it) is a great low light lens and you can't go wrong with the 18-55 VR ($160). VR is a great thing to have, but if you feel you can live without it (photography went a long time without it and plenty of pros and artisits still go without it), the 18-55 kit is the same and can be had for about $100.

If you are going compact, there are tons of possibilities and you should give us a better idea of what this is for.

I have a D40. It's really nice for the price. It's about 500 bucks but a DSLR is so much better than a point-and-shoot. Definitely worth the money.

As for freezing the motion of your skating, any DSLR will be able to capture that. Just bump up the shutter speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back