First Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Donjo3, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Donjo3

Donjo3 TPF Noob!

Awhile back I posted looking for some help about finding myself a good beginners dSLR. Well, after months of saving (I'm only 16 and a dishwasher :( ) I have just about $600 saved up for my camera. I was wondering A)where would be a good online site to order from? and B) I love this camera [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0007QKMQY/ref=cm_rev_next/105-4325366-5927663?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=-SubmissionDate&n=502394&s=photo&customer-reviews.start=21[/ame] should I?

2. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...sgr=&shs=&ci=6222&ac=&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=14

just saved you a few $$$$

3. MPowerM3

MPowerM3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you can pull the scratch together, from BandH order the Xt with the 17-85is lens, its far superior to the kit lens, and only a 400 dollar upgrade, you cant find them used for that much!!! I have the same camera and I love mine, just waiting on the battery grip to give it some better feel in my hands!! Best of luck.

4. david1971

david1971 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a fairly decent camera. The only thing I try to steer away from is the pop-up flash but it looks like this particular dSLR has a flash mount as well. How many other cameras have you looked at? Is photography something you're thinking of doing as a profession or a hobby? I would take the time to find the right camera and with $600, you can find a pretty decent professional digital camera.

Good Luck!

David

5. Ripnowell45

Ripnowell45 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Have you ever felt this camera or played around with the settings??? Go to the store and mess around with a few dif cameras. I was going to get the Canon and when I used it I ended up liking the Nikon D50 better.

6. Donjo3

Donjo3 TPF Noob!

First, if I go with this camera, thank you EOS JD for finding it cheaper. Second, I would save up even more and get a better kit like you say MPowerM3, but I'm on a deadline (class trip to Florida is in less than a month, it will be sweet, Michigan is cold as hell). Third, this camera will be more of a hobby if anything. I've taken alot of pictures using my dad's old cybershot, and people seem to think I'm pretty good (dont want to sound full of myself). I might think about going professional, I never thought to hard on it. And lastly, to Ripnowell45, I wish I could feel it. I live in a very "undeveloped" area. Wal-marts the biggest thing around here. And they only carry one film SLR. It's a big difference, I used to live in Minneapolis, MN, and then we move here, where the funnest thing to do is watch American Idol, god I hate that show. Thanks for all your help.

PS - If anyone likes American Idol, sorry.

7. nima

nima TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought mine from B&H used... Works great and saved me bunch of money too

8. Donjo3

Donjo3 TPF Noob!

Wow. So I ordered my camera (well my mom did, me being only 16 = no credit card) from a place called "FotoConnection". Man that was a mistake. I found the camera for about $640, came with 1 gb memory card, and two lenses (I don't remember exact specs). They called about 30 minutes later and said I needed a battery and a charger. So they billed me for it....billed me an extra 300 DOLLARS! So I got on the phone, and I wanted to cancel that battery order. The guy from FotoConnection told me the stock battery lasted less than 20 mins. I told him I didn't care, just to drop that 2nd part of the order. He then got really angry and told me he had spent over an hour on the phone with me yesterday, but in reality it was around 5 mins. And then he said "Don't **** with me" and said we would have to pay a 15% restocking fee. My main question is, does the stock battery actually only have 20 minutes of battery life?

9. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    FotoConnection is known to be a "Scam"....dont buy from them......no batteries cost $300...that is a rip off....you can buy batteries off the street for $25...even with a charger.....that doesnt cost you $300....you should XXXX them back and call the police if they are not giving you the money back......and you will not send you any camera for the price you pay for.....they will just tell you that you are on a waiting less probably.....they will find you plenty of excuse and just wont send you anything on their loss......you can imagine how it goes i think

regarding restocking......they havent sent out anything yet......what da heck is the restocking?.....tell them to go back to school to learn the meaning of restocking before using it.....lol :p.....also.....in case they charge you anything......make sure you call your credit card company to void this payment.....just ignore them.....they (fotoconnection) cant do anything with payment over the phone if you dont honour it......they cant just take money out of the creditcard.....is illegal

10. Donjo3

Donjo3 TPF Noob!

God, I'm so glad I posted here. First thing tomorrow morning I'll have my mom call and cancel. Well, after that experience, I'm a bit nervous about where to spend my money, anyone got a suggestion for a good site to buy from?

11. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  12. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

Look at the links at the top of the page. By all accounts B&H is very good. I've used Adorama and was not disatisfied.