First CC (Portrait)

ohiangel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, first and foremost Ive been lurking the forums for a bit, now Im ready to throw a shot out there for some advice :D

All criticism is appreciated. Thanks.

hori1of1.jpg

Another shot from last week

Strobist info:
AB800 with large softbox slightly above looking down straight infront of the model

fixed-8234done.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, a few problems here: This shot would dedicate a portrait crop and not a landscape crop.

There is a weird shadow or artifacting over his camera right shoulder.

The stray hairs and fly aways need to be removed.

The blemishes need to be removed.

The wrinkles in the jacket arm need to be removed.

The shirt needs to be straightened.

I hope you take this crit in the friendly manner that it was intended. I would have fixed a lot of this stuff before I ever hit the shutter.

Hopefully this will help you keep your eyes out for problems in the future.
Many hugs and thanks for sharing.

Thanks! All taken as friendly<3

you got a lot of light on your subject, theres no character to it
to me it feels like the picture doesnt have any feeling to it, almost like a mugshot

What kind of advice are you looking for? I agree that shooting vertical would have helped -- as it is, it seems like the subject is ducking to keep his head in the frame.

I guess I am curious to know what your goals were with this shot. The lighting and color look fine.

I don't agree that every blemish, wrinkle, and stray hair need to be removed. This is who he is. So what if a couple hairs are out of place. But then again, this all comes back to what you want. Do you want a sleek portrait where everything is perfect and beautiful? Are you more interested in showing people as they are?

you got a lot of light on your subject, theres no character to it
to me it feels like the picture doesnt have any feeling to it, almost like a mugshot

He's got a flat light going, which works well for the client depending on what they are going for. I'm not disturbed by the light.

What kind of advice are you looking for? I agree that shooting vertical would have helped -- as it is, it seems like the subject is ducking to keep his head in the frame.

I guess I am curious to know what your goals were with this shot. The lighting and color look fine.

I don't agree that every blemish, wrinkle, and stray hair need to be removed. This is who he is. So what if a couple hairs are out of place. But then again, this all comes back to what you want. Do you want a sleek portrait where everything is perfect and beautiful? Are you more interested in showing people as they are?

You don't need to turn them into wax figures, but clients expect a certain amount of work from a pro. For instance, I don't think he would be in love with that big honking pimple.

Thanks, you guys are awesome.

I'm going for a more "relaxed" photoshoot so to speak.
I want the photo to show who the person is.

And yes, the vertical thing is crucial. All the other shots are vertical.

More or less, I like my shots to be more "real"

put another shot up, thanks guys.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back