First class at a college. Eek.

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first class I'm taking at a college. Just the local comunity college but a very large one. I'm taking the intro photography class. It's my first photography class too! Oh man, I'm gunna be the only kid in the class... besides the other kids.. but I'll probally be the youngest. What should I expect in this class? Is it hard? Are the others in the class probally gunna know alot allready? I meen, I know everything I need to know, but I don't know darkroom stuff. I don't know what I'm asking, I'm just a little anxious/nervous o.0 Hertz is probally going to move this lol.

oh man me too! i'm still in HS (i'm assuming you are (?)), and at first I was TOTALLY looking forward to it, and I still am, but now i'm starting to get nervous.

I share your fear my friend... I am looking into taking a class on Photojournalism at the local college... I have no idea what to expect.. :pale:

Ahh, we should start a club. I'm so nervous. And Littleman props for that class, I don't think I could take that class out side of highschool just yet. I'm going to be a senior in highschool TB. I'm turning 18 in 23 days! Woohoo. How old are you guys?

Ghoste said:
Ahh, we should start a club. I'm so nervous. And Littleman props for that class, I don't think I could take that class out side of highschool just yet. I'm going to be a senior in highschool TB. I'm turning 18 in 23 days! Woohoo. How old are you guys?
I'll be turning 18 in a few months.

People take classes to learn, so if your nervous about not knowing stuff, then you probably shouldn't be because most of the people in there are in the same boat you are.

What you should be worried about is the proff tearing your work apart and making you cry like a little school girl in front of the entire class. Lol just kidding. I had a proff once that wasn't happy untill he made someone cry in peer review. He was a good teacher though. :)

SLO way to help make them nervous. LOL.

Don't worry about it. People take the intro class to learn, I guarantee you are not the only one in there who doesn't know that stuff. That's the point of taking a class. Why would they take the intro class if they already knew all that stuff? :D

I'm sure you'll do fine.

I wish I could take the photography class my HS offers, but people told me it is 60% math and you don't touch a camera till there is around 4 weeks left? Not sure why they call it photography. :meh:

vonDrehle said:
I'm sure you'll do fine.

I wish I could take the photography class my HS offers, but people told me it is 60% math and you don't touch a camera till there is around 4 weeks left? Not sure why they call it photography. :meh:

Wow that sucks. Sure there is math to be done in photography if you really really want to know what's going on in the optics but it really shouldn't be about the math, at least, not at the core.

CrazyAva said:
SLO way to help make them nervous. LOL.

Don't worry about it. People take the intro class to learn, I guarantee you are not the only one in there who doesn't know that stuff. That's the point of taking a class. Why would they take the intro class if they already knew all that stuff? :D

Don't sweat it he was a tough love kinda guy. He would tear you up in class and then drink a beer with you right afterwards, interesting fellow.

I teach at a CC -- writing, not photography. The prof may tear your work apart. As I tell my writing students at the beginning of the semester, if you can't take criticism, don't bother with the class. If you think you're a great writer already and are just looking for a pat on the back, don't bother with the class. If you have an open mind and thick skin, then welcome aboard.

I agree with the others that most others in the class will know the same or much less than you. Let us know how it's going!

MM

A wise person once observed:

When in their teens and twentys, people spend a lot of time worrying about what others are thinking about them.
when in their 30's and 40's, they get braver and decide not to worry about what others are thinking about them.
By their 50's and 60's they realize that others weren't really thinking about them anyway.

Just try to relax and jump into the class and enjoy it. From what I've seen so far, There is more than enough expertise and good will avaiilable through TPF to get you through your class. LOL

SLOShooter said:
What you should be worried about is the proff tearing your work apart and making you cry like a little school girl in front of the entire class. Lol just kidding.

My mouth was dropped open :O Until I read the Just kidding part lol.

CrazyAva said:
Why would they take the intro class if they already knew all that stuff? :D

Becuase you have to, to get into the next level class haha.

haha. basically. i wanted to go straight to photography 2 since photography 1 is about things like what shutter speed and DoF is, and how to put film in a camera. It'll be good though (hopefully) and i'll learn how to work in a darkroom. I'm sure it'll be a great learning experience for all of us. besides, it's only one semester for photo 1.

No worries guys...I wouldn't know if you were high schoolers in my photog class, high schooler isn't tatooed on your forehead...or at least I hope not :lol: Just pretend you know what you're doin ;)

As for not knowing things, if you're here my guess is you probably know more than students in photog 1. When I took it I knew nothing, and that was the same with the rest of the class. You may have to go through the things you already know, but it's a good refresher. Just remember to have fun and learn as much as possible :)

Most reactions

Back