First concert you ever attended...

Il Trovatore -- would have been around 1964 and Montserrat Caballe sang. Still can't get that anvil out of my head.

I think my first concert was Queen's News of the World tour in Toronto in November 1977. (Didn't have an opportunity to punch Freddie Mercury though...my seat was way too far back)

Mickey Gilley/ Cash when I was 10 with my pops, The Roidz via my skate board(local punk band 1989/90,), Pop Band Beastie Boys 1992

My parents took me to a lot of concerts...

Er, umm... Black Oak Arkansas... :apathy:

Garth Brooks, can't remember the year, but when he first got popular. I was young. I don't like country at all, but everyone likes Garth Brooks.

I was in high school in the San Francisco Bay Area back in the mid 1960s and played in rock bands so I often went to hear other local “garage bands” play but the first “name” musicians I went to see were probably at the original Fillmore Auditorium when it opened in San Francisco in about 1966. I went a number of times and saw many acts there including Janice Joplin, Paul Butterfield, Steve Miller, Tower of Power, Jefferson Airplane, “Big Momma” Thornton, Chuck Berry, The Byrds, Santana, Cream, the Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service and many others. I also played there on an “open Tuesday” with my band opening for Buffalo Springfield. I was also at the infamous Altamont Concert in 1969 (way in the back). A good friend and fellow musician with whom I played gigs at that time went on to join one of the famous rock bands from that era (I'd rather not say who) and he is now in the R&R Hall of Fame (him, not me). :)

I was in high school in the San Francisco Bay Area back in the mid 1960s and played in rock bands so I often went to hear other local “garage bands” play but the first “name” musicians I went to see were probably at the original Fillmore Auditorium when it opened in San Francisco in about 1966. I went a number of times and saw many acts there including Janice Joplin, Paul Butterfield, Steve Miller, Tower of Power, Jefferson Airplane, “Big Momma” Thornton, Chuck Berry, The Byrds, Santana, Cream, the Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service and many others. I also played there on an “open Tuesday” with my band opening for Buffalo Springfield. I was also at the infamous Altamont Concert in 1969 (way in the back). A good friend and fellow musician with whom I played gigs at that time went on to join one of the famous rock bands from that era (I'd rather not say who) and he is now in the R&R Hall of Fame (him, not me). :)
Wow!! There could be a whole multi-page thread for guesses about your friend. :eek-new:

Sounds like it was fun while you were living through it - I bet it's rather surreal to look back and realize how lucky you were to see all this talent, and rub shoulders a bit with others.

I have come to appreciate my own naivety regarding music while I was growing up. The unmatched talent of the bands that were putting out great albums, year after year, that have become the bedrock of any "classic rock" station you can think of, is something that I quite took for granted. I just assumed that pop or mainstream music - however you want to refer to the music that dominated a few decades - would always be at a high standard.

So wrong. :lol:

Blue Rodeo.

Sounds like it was fun while you were living through it - I bet it's rather surreal to look back and realize how lucky you were to see all this talent, and rub shoulders a bit with others.

Yes, it was fun and I had no idea at the time of the significance of it all. It was just part of the environment.

Jerry Garcia used to play banjo in my high school quad at lunch time (I have no idea why) long before "The Dead" and one of Steve Miller's band members went to school there too, the late Lonnie Turner, though I didn't know either of them personally.

This was just the way it was back then. Rock & Roll, R&B, Blues, etc were everywhere. At that time most "normal" people paid little attention to any music that wasn't Top 40 radio or on TV so they were unaware of it. It was considered "underground" music if it was acknowledged at all . "Huh? Eric Clapton? Who's that?"

One other anecdote:
One day in the 60s my cousin called me and asked if I'd help him move out of his apartment which was located near Golden Gate Park and adjacent to the Haight Ashbury district of SF. He said there was a rock band living in the building and the noise was way too loud. I said sure and went over there. As I walked up the stairs of his building I passed (coming down) Janis Joplin and a couple of her band members. Then I realized the loud rock band in my cousin's building was Big Brother and the Holding Company! My cousin had no clue what I was talking about when I mentioned this to him. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back