First Craft fair

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by SteveEllis, Oct 14, 2007.

1. SteveEllis

SteveEllis TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey Guys,

A friend of mine puts on craft stalls at shows and has asked me to share a table with her. I'm really looking forward to it, I've got some pictures that I want to make wraps of and some to just do as prints.

Any tips?

Cheers,
    Steve.

2. teachflute

teachflute TPF Noob!

I've done craft fairs for years. I mostly sell the items that I paint, but I recently started selling photos. I've found that the key to craft fairs is to visually attract the customers. There is so much visual stimulation at a fair, the best way to get customers to stop at your booth is to have a visual product that will make them stop in their tracks and say "Wow! I wonder what else they have at that booth". Make some rather large prints of your best work and hang them so everyone can see. If you only have prints in plastic in boxes, you won't attract as many customers.

The other key to craft fairs is pricing. If you have a chance, visit some craft fairs in your area before your show and get a feel for what other similar vendors are doing for pricing. You don't want to sell yourself short, but you want to be competitive. Craft fairs can be a lot like garage sales as people like to walk around first, compare quality and prices of items before they go back.

I would also have lots of business cards available to hand out. I don't know what type of photography you do, but this would give you the opportunity to get your name out there.

Also, another thing that has always sold well is greeting cards. There are vendors that will sell you the cardstock part of the card and you add your own photo. You can double or triple your cost on cards. They sell well because they are still relatively inexpensive for the client and you can do a high bulk that yield a high profit.

I hope this helps and I hope you do well at your fair.
    ~Judi

3. SteveEllis

SteveEllis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks very much for that :)

I was thinking of getting a few put on large wraps, if they dont sell I'll put them up in my house. I've got two or three I really like and am thinking of putting them up anyway.

:)

4. Artograph

Artograph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    See my post: "Price for newbie photos...?". Lots of great info there!!

Good luck to you!

:O)