First critique post.

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by 35mmHero, Jan 6, 2007.

1. 35mmHero

35mmHero TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello, all! This is a picture on took a few months back on a photo trip to Badlands/Bighorn Mts/Yellowstone/Jackson Hole. This picture was taken way back on some dirt road in Gardiner, Montana.I used my Olympus E volt E-500 then used Adobe Photoshop to change contrast, dodge, etc and converted it to gray scale.

Fire away!

.Johnny.

[​IMG]

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    First off, it looks too dark to me. Bringing it into Photoshop, I see that you have a Gamma 1.8 profile embedded into it. I have my system set to 1.8, so it looks better in PS, but a lot of browsers expect sRGB. If you embed any other profile, you run the risk of having the color data misinterpreted. A lot of Windows systems also have their gamma set to 2.2.

Even considering that, it's still a little dark for my taste. A little boost of brightness using curves livens it up for me. Adding a touch of contrast while there is even better. I'd also crop out a bit of that sky, like a 4:5 ratio. Dodging it a bit would bring out the clouds more, or better yet, use a curves layer masked to just the sky and the mountains in the back.

Overall I think it's a nice image.

3. simonkit

simonkit TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Perhaps the shot taken from a slightly lower perspective making a stronger foreground ?

simon

4. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are many ways to convert to B&W in PS without just clicking gray scale. Before you do check all channels red, blue and green to see which one stands best, then convert to that channel for adjustments. I think you could bring out alot more detail in a great sky you have using curves and level adjustments. But the less you do the better it will be. Great first picture. I think it might have looked great in color, and just desaturate it some in the Hue/Saturation palette. Looking forward to seeing more....
    Cosmo

5. 35mmHero

35mmHero TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks to everyone for tips on editing! I'm totally new to editing pictures with PS. Most of my experience with it comes from manipulating stock & concert photos to make windows wallpaper or fliers for bands. I was completely and totally against digital photography for a long time. I did my best to concentrate on alternative process in the darkroom and do quit well without a mouse. Haha.

I'm still a hands-on kinda guy, but I'm attracted to the ease of taking my DSLR and my laptop and going on a road trip. Instant gratification!

I agree that the image definitely looks dark, but when I printed it out it looked fabulous, so I accomplished my goal there. Once again, this all a learning process for me and I appreciate any and all pointers.

Here's the image in color, which I actually like a bit more.

[​IMG]