First critique thread.

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by czechup, Sep 20, 2006.

1. czechup

czechup TPF Noob!

I'm planning on making my way to college next year for photography and I figure I might as well get used to critiques!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more on my "website" http://apothegmm.livejournal.com if you're interested enough...

2. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

the light on the models face in 2 & 3 (cropped photos of the same pic?) is too harsh and blows out her features a bit too much IMO.

4 is nice, but i might have included the top of her head and the rest of her shoulder on the left of the image.

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Actually I thought the last one looked way out of balance. If you hung it on a wall it would constantly look as though it were ready to fall off. In fact I felt one and two should have been verticle crops as well as three.

But I do like the shots in general. It is a nice use of "improvise" photography. It's just my opinion though probably not worth much you will get plenty more im sure it is a nice mood to them.

4. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i can tell you my professors would rip up prints resembling anything close to the last 3. the first is fine. and i actually like the second one, but there is no detail in large spots on her face . . . but the mood like mysteryscribe said is nice. THE IRREDESCENCE IN THE EYES IS GREAT, THE CATCH LIGHT ISN'T WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE CLASSICALLY AT 11 0'CLOCK OR 1, BUT I LIKE HOW YOU HAVE IT.

5. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

The last one's a write-off due to flat lighting and poor composition. As Mystery puts it - it's gonna fall over sideways. If you adjusted the lighting to give more depth and then made her 1/3 of the way over, rather than all the way, it would work.

I'm not a particular fan of how hard the lighting is in the first few, because the shadow makes her nose look big.

Also, I always say - vertical subject, vertical frame shot.

Rob

6. chris82

chris82 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    rob...your a prefectionist:D i think you should crop the right side of no 4 all the way over to her arm then try it in sepia tone

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I feel I will have to move this thread over to the Portraits Forum, since this Photo Critique forum is quite strict in its GUIDELINES that I am SURE every one READS first when the come into this forum :hertz: ... or don't you!?!?!? :hertz:

All the same czechup, welcome to ThePhotoForum, and believe me, you are FAR from being the first to make this mistake of NOT reading our guidelines. Though you should have done so .... ;) :D.

8. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I like the second, so I'll share my thoughts on that one.

First, the lighting: You made a bold choice to use "split lighting." I like it. It works well here. The raito is a bit strong, overexposing the highlights... loosing detail on the side of the face and nose. It does nicley convey the texture of the hair.

Composition: I like the choice of horizontal framing. And, you have her positioned well within the frame. The striped top was doing good for this portrait, so the horizontal crop helps there too. The diagonal lines created by the necklace are very nice, but a slightly lower crop will resolve the lines by including the pendant. I think her expression interesting.

I hope this helps.

Pete